Anyone use a microscope that hooks up to a lap top?

2Escudo

Greenie
Jan 23, 2010
North Coast, Oh.
Detector(s) used
Excaliber, Explorer2, Soverign, F75

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a few interesting threads...

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
I bought one of those china 800x knock offs and am happy with it. I haven't figured how to resize the pic capture feature yet but works great for close ups. I use it for jewelry id and works great for me. paid 30.00 for it 1 year ago.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a half blind watchmaker use one on a wristwatch I took him to see about fixing. I was sure impressed with it. I think it would be a great item to add to your arsenal of research tools. Untill now I never though about getting one for myself. I believe I now know what to tell my wife what she can get me for Christmas this year.... Thanks!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I went with a high megapixel camera on a tripod. Get as close as the camera will allow, light your subject well, use the self-timer feature on the camera and you will have a big sharp picture. At 100% magnification, even cropped tightly around a coin-sized subject, you should have an image that barely fits your monitor.
The depth of field will be better than the microscope can do, and you'll have a picture suitable for use on eBay. Most of these cheap computer microscopes just show at 640x480 or 800x600. Ebay won't accept images less than 1000 pixels on a side anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread