Anyone want a better coin digging tool?

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Hi all,

I have been metal detecting for 24 years. I have tried different digging tools, some good, some bad.

If you would like a tool that won't break, won't bend, will cut tree roots, and has a lifetime guarantee...
then I would like to hear from you.

The one that I have been using for several years, meets the above criteria, except for the guarantee. If I can get enough interested people, I will look at having a local company reproduce one like mine, and then offer them for sale.

Timberwolf

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
SAMS said:
Could you let me know what it looks like and what it's made of thanks sam in A.Z.

Sams,

It is made out of steel. It won't bend or break, and it is strong enough to cut through tree roots. I have been using mine for about 10 or 12 years. Here is some pics.

Timberwolf

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 4,170
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 4,163
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 4,166
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 4,157
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 4,143
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 4,136

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITS A BIG ASS CHISEL 8) 8)

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eddekalb,

It is a little on the heavy side, that is the only thing about it that I don't like. I will try to make it out of lighter material, if I can, without decreasing it's strength.

One thing about it though, you can cut a 6" square plug (6"-8" deep), in no time at all!

Timberwolf

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I kinda like the looks of it. Doesn't have the "ears" like the Lesche that will stop you short at 7" unless you widen the hole, and the fine tip that can drive you nuts trying to scoop a coin that has fallen out of the plug into the bottom of the hole.

I'd be very interested at $25, somewhat interested at $30, supporting you as a favor to help you get started at $35.

Consider making a 12" overall one with an 2-1/4" x 8" blade and a 4" wide welded "T" handle at the top like so:

===--|

And I'd be even more interested.

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Well I kinda like the looks of it. Doesn't have the "ears" like the Lesche that will stop you short at 7" unless you widen the hole, and the fine tip that can drive you nuts trying to scoop a coin that has fallen out of the plug into the bottom of the hole.

I'd be very interested at $25, somewhat interested at $30, supporting you as a favor to help you get started at $35.

Consider making a 12" overall one with an 2-1/4" x 8" blade and a 4" wide welded "T" handle at the top like so:

===--|

And I'd be even more interested.

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for answering. I was beginning to think that no one was interested.

I will keep your design ideas for possible use. I have not contacted any local shops yet, to see what it will cost to have them made. I was kinda waiting around to see if there were a few out there that would like one.

So far...it's just you and me:)

I will get back with you, if I have some made. I paid $25 for each of mine, 15 years ago. We will have to see what the shops say. Wish I knew how to weld:(

Timberwolf

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Welding is not too difficult if you wanted to learn. Could be a worthwhile endeavor if you were able to learn could possibly cut the production cost by 75% or so.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Timberwolf,

Sorry I didn't get back to your post sooner....saw it and then lost it.

I like the concept of it. How much does yours weigh? Also, did you conjure up a sheath for it, or do you just carry it?

--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
jonnyrebel00 said:
Welding is not too difficult if you wanted to learn. Could be a worthwhile endeavor if you were able to learn could possibly cut the production cost by 75% or so.

Thanks Jonnyreb,

You might be right.
I wonder what it would cost for a welding rig?
Thanks for your input ;D

Timberwolf

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
borninok said:
Timberwolf,

Sorry I didn't get back to your post sooner....saw it and then lost it.

I like the concept of it. How much does yours weigh? Also, did you conjure up a sheath for it, or do you just carry it?

--Mel

borninok

Hey Mel,

Good to hear from you.
My digger weighs 14.2 ounces, it's a bit heavy.
I carry it in my tool pouch, but I think you are right, a sheath would probably work better.
I need to go ahead and talk to the local machine shops and see what they will charge me. My guess is, it won't be cheap.
As I stated earlier, I bought mine 15 years ago for $25 each from "Speedy", at a Treasure Expo. I don't know if he made them himself or if he had someone else make them.

Timberwolf

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
But, even at 14.2 oz...if it goes through tree roots, it's gotta have some weight. Pls keep me apprised. Depending on the price, I think it might be a good investment. Ok...I can see this now....a sheath with a timberwolf on it.... ;D Actually, that's a thought. A leather sheath with Indian artwork on it. Hmmmmmm..
--Mel

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
borninok said:
But, even at 14.2 oz...if it goes through tree roots, it's gotta have some weight. Pls keep me apprised. Depending on the price, I think it might be a good investment. Ok...I can see this now....a sheath with a timberwolf on it.... ;D Actually, that's a thought. A leather sheath with Indian artwork on it. Hmmmmmm..
--Mel

Mel,

Hmmm...Yes, a Timberwolf engraved on the digger and a leather sheath with an embossed wolf :) ;) :D ;D

I like it!!!

I will keep you updated. If nothing else, we could sell them as "bigfoot beaters" or "terrorist whackers", for self defense ;D

Timberwolf

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Harbor Freight for welders. They have some decent ones for beginners. All you would need is a stick welder.

Dennis

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks Dennis :)

Timberwolf

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I've been watching that thread closely, and I'll probably call them today. However, don't forget, I want one of the very first Timberwolves if and when you put one out. ;)
---Mel

borninok

P.S.....12:53 PM....Just ordered mine.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Timberwolf. Very good of you to let us know. I did call and order one with the 90º handle. That looks like it will solve the "T" handle I was thinging of. Easier to push hard with a straight wrist; and I'm one of them limp-wristed desk jockies who needs all the help I can get. Plus, it looks even less weaponlike than a trowel - should keep the Park Mommies from freaking. Those that don't know of push daggers or tonfas at least. ;)

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Mel,

You will be my first customer ;D

Charlie P,

Your very welcome ;D

Tom

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
There is a digger called the Nebraska sod buster that is very comparable to that one. They are about 25-30 bucks. Will last for a long long time. Just do a google search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread