fireman4youu
Full Member
- Joined
- Oct 11, 2006
- Messages
- 242
- Reaction score
- 6
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Millbrook, AL
- Detector(s) used
- MXT
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
fireman4youu said:Awesome thanks for the info!Don in SJ said:fireman4youu said:I got 7 grams, let me shrink pic and ill show ya
Your 7 grams is only 108 grains and even with accounting for weight loss with the hole, it is no doubt a lightweight coin, Cru's copper of 9.97 grams is over 153 grains, which is right where a Regal KGIII Halfpenny should be. Usually anything under 130 or grains is suspicious just by weight alone. But usually a counterfeit can be determined visually right away. By far the vast majority of KGIII Halfpence found in America are counterfeits, finding a regal is not the norm.
CRUSADER said:fireman4youu said:Awesome thanks for the info!Don in SJ said:fireman4youu said:I got 7 grams, let me shrink pic and ill show ya
Your 7 grams is only 108 grains and even with accounting for weight loss with the hole, it is no doubt a lightweight coin, Cru's copper of 9.97 grams is over 153 grains, which is right where a Regal KGIII Halfpenny should be. Usually anything under 130 or grains is suspicious just by weight alone. But usually a counterfeit can be determined visually right away. By far the vast majority of KGIII Halfpence found in America are counterfeits, finding a regal is not the norm.
Yes, Don has a much better way of saying things than me. You seemed a little disappointed about it being a counterfiet which actually it makes it more interesting (to me) than the real deal & bearing in mind they were contemporary to the Regal issue it's good history. Then add the counterstamp & you have a real great find. (even if, as IP speculates it's 150 years later, because that could happen)
There are several Gates listings but no listing for Will Gate or W. Gate. I am not at my computer and I dont have the Brunks link today but I looked the other day.Iron Patch said:Is there a Will Gate listing? If so, I have the book so can look it up tomorrow.