fireman4youu
Full Member
- Joined
- Oct 11, 2006
- Messages
- 242
- Reaction score
- 6
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Millbrook, AL
- Detector(s) used
- MXT
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting

My first thought was WILL GATE (William Gate) and the first A was a mistake. 
CRUSADER said:I'm surprised no one said it was a counterfeit halfpenny prior to being holed & couterstamped.
fireman4youu said:CRUSADER said:I'm surprised no one said it was a counterfeit halfpenny prior to being holed & couterstamped.
do tell what ya know, im interested?
CRUSADER said:fireman4youu said:CRUSADER said:I'm surprised no one said it was a counterfeit halfpenny prior to being holed & couterstamped.
do tell what ya know, im interested?
What more can I add, its very likely a counterfeit halfpenny (either produced here, maybe over there), & not a Regal issue.
fireman4youu said:CRUSADER said:fireman4youu said:CRUSADER said:I'm surprised no one said it was a counterfeit halfpenny prior to being holed & couterstamped.
do tell what ya know, im interested?
What more can I add, its very likely a counterfeit halfpenny (either produced here, maybe over there), & not a Regal issue.
do u have a weight, on what there suppose to be? looks pretty real to me, but i understand, and respect your idea.
fireman4youu said:CRUSADER said:fireman4youu said:CRUSADER said:I'm surprised no one said it was a counterfeit halfpenny prior to being holed & couterstamped.
do tell what ya know, im interested?
What more can I add, its very likely a counterfeit halfpenny (either produced here, maybe over there), & not a Regal issue.
do u have a weight, on what there suppose to be? looks pretty real to me, but i understand, and respect your idea.
CRUSADER said:I'm surprised no one said it was a counterfeit halfpenny prior to being holed & couterstamped.

fireman4youu said:I got 7 grams, let me shrink pic and ill show ya
Awesome thanks for the info!Don in SJ said:fireman4youu said:I got 7 grams, let me shrink pic and ill show ya
Your 7 grams is only 108 grains and even with accounting for weight loss with the hole, it is no doubt a lightweight coin, Cru's copper of 9.97 grams is over 153 grains, which is right where a Regal KGIII Halfpenny should be. Usually anything under 130 or grains is suspicious just by weight alone. But usually a counterfeit can be determined visually right away. By far the vast majority of KGIII Halfpence found in America are counterfeits, finding a regal is not the norm.
High Plains Digger said:I am not arguing about the "counterfeitcy" of the coin, but I wonder what the advantage of pocketing a couple of grains of copper by faking a coin? The advantages seem to be vastly outweighed by the down side: The King's firing squad or a prison ship on the Thames. I have several coppers directly from England that seem to be faked (upside down 17 and a few other things) and just can't understand the economics. Enlighten me. Thanks.
Its hard to visualize the days before runaway inflation when a penny was actually worth carrying or even a half penny could actually buy something. It may compare to a $20 or $50 today as said. For this reason I question using a $50 piece for a simple key fob.High Plains Digger said:I am not arguing about the "counterfeitcy" of the coin, but I wonder what the advantage of pocketing a couple of grains of copper by faking a coin? The advantages seem to be vastly outweighed by the down side: The King's firing squad or a prison ship on the Thames. I have several coppers directly from England that seem to be faked (upside down 17 and a few other things) and just can't understand the economics. Enlighten me. Thanks.
"Occam's Razor"? Would you use even a dollar coin for a key fob? It may even have been illegal. I think it may be an unknown countermark. (WILL GATE) Check Brunks site.bigcypresshunter said:Its hard to visualize the days before runaway inflation when a penny was actually worth carrying or even a half penny could actually buy something. It may compare to a $20 or $50 today as said. For this reason I question using a $50 piece for a simple key fob.High Plains Digger said:I am not arguing about the "counterfeitcy" of the coin, but I wonder what the advantage of pocketing a couple of grains of copper by faking a coin? The advantages seem to be vastly outweighed by the down side: The King's firing squad or a prison ship on the Thames. I have several coppers directly from England that seem to be faked (upside down 17 and a few other things) and just can't understand the economics. Enlighten me. Thanks."Occam's Razor"? Would you use even a dollar coin for a key fob? It may even have been illegal. I think it may be an unknown countermark. (WILL GATE) Check Brunks site.