Anyone work with onyx marble

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have buckets of this, it is developed in ancient hydrothermal springs, a soft easy to work stone, hit me up with pm,also fantastic galena specimens, very large to micro mount rock13.jpg

I think marble and onyx are pretty hard stone, the stuff you have looks like calcite that I have found in southern Utah. Can you take some pics of it outside in some natural light?

Upvote 0
This is marble onyx in name only, it is a precipitate formed in an ancient hydro thermal spring or vent,not sure how it came to called onyxmarble

Upvote 0
I first assumed calcite, no fluorescence, and no response to acid, took a long time to identify

Upvote 0
I think marble and onyx are pretty hard stone, the stuff you have looks like calcite that I have found in southern Utah. Can you take some pics of it outside in some natural light?

Probably some kind of trade name for a rock of layered carbonates. I'd think aragonite, among other.

Upvote 0
Tufa is one, also arogonite sinter is another, I prefer onyxmarble, its all more or less the same stuff,it is lovely to work hardness of 4,must be worked gently though, if anyone wants to trade,or just wants some,specimen or to work it,hit me up with a pm, if it fits it ships usps

Upvote 0
Loco, taking pics under fluorescent lights will always have that
yellowed look unless the camera's white balance is adjusted to
compensate.

Fortunately, it can also be corrected in post-processing..:occasion14:

rock13-2.jpg

rock16-2.jpg

rock21-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back