anyway to roughly date belt buckles?

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
found these two today. near a foundation. the top one appears to be fairly new maybe? and the bottom one appears older maybe? anyway to roughly date these? the top one has a small sleeve bent around where te clip sits.
KIMG1183.JPG

Upvote 3

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
found these two today. near a foundation. the top one appears to be fairly new maybe? and the bottom one appears older maybe? anyway to roughly date these? the top one has a small sleeve bent around where te clip sits. View attachment 2070510
Is the bottom one a belt buckle? Looks like an iron loop from harness leather or from the side of engineer boots. Just asking.

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the bottom one a belt buckle? Looks like an iron loop from harness leather or from the side of engineer boots. Just asking.
yeah your guess is as good as mine. im still new to the hobby. the bottom one to me seems to be a buckle at one point as one side kind of appears straight. but yeah could very well be a harness loop of some sort.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It tough man. I have 100’s of d-buckles that are un-dateable. I go by styling, plain ones being new, older ones having styling like those in the buckles book. It’s just personal taste but I feel like styling trends influenced all buckles

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It tough man. I have 100’s of d-buckles that are un-dateable. I go by styling, plain ones being new, older ones having styling like those in the buckles book. It’s just personal taste but I feel like styling trends influenced all buckles
understood. makes sense. thanks for the info.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
understood. makes sense. thanks for the info.
Also, then as now, money talked. More ornate buckles were available in smaller numbers due to cost, especially east: Philadelphia, Boston etc. Plain, utilitarian buckles were much more common. They worked well and were less $$. Especially for harness leather. Many were repaired by blacksmiths if they cracked, broke, etc. easier to replace/repair a plain iron buckle.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found these two today. near a foundation. the top one appears to be fairly new maybe? and the bottom one appears older maybe? anyway to roughly date these? the top one has a small sleeve bent around where te clip sits. View attachment 2070510
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread