What's new

Archaeologist here - lets chat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the OLD native civilization material...would not show up on detectors...

There were some tribes, Iroquois for example, that had iron technology before Europeans arrived in the New World.

Sometimes time-lines have to be rewritten. A Canaanite warship was raised that placed steel blades hundreds of years earlier that previously believed.
 
As an archeologist, what is the protocol for protecting a dig site?
 
wow can not believe i missed this,hi easttrail
 
FYI, thread is 2 years old......
 
I'm sorry but I feel the whole thread was bogus and it deserves to go back to the archives. It sparked a good debate but under false pretenses.
 
Just because it's in or on the ground doesn't make it yours. So leave us alone. We search records, maps, stories and get acquainted with values of artifacts and old stuff. We may be more professional than you just because you have a piece of paper. We can't advertise certain things on Ebay without someone wanting Proof of when and where it was found. Then have authorities claim we stole it.

That is why many new detectorists are wary of any professional interest in our stuff. You want it for yourself and make the site off-limits. TV is just that. To piss stupid people off enough to DEMAND action and are OUTRAGED by the conduct. Well tough ****. I'm outraged that young soldiers have to detect and disarm bombs. It's all a PR ratings game for you 9good guys) and the cable channels where characters with one tooth grab headlines.

In my opinion if someone spends their off time reading and searching sites to add a worthless piece of change, old bone, pottery chard to their little collection, let em. It's a hobby. YOU have a paying job to hassle people who just want to enjoy their hobby. Geez.... I am so sick of any regulation or person claiming some right to meddle in other peoples affairs.

The huge majority of artifacts in museums were not found by you guys. Usually stolen from the people who found them. (Deleted by mod)
BB
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Part of post was out of line, against our rules and was deleted BB. He is/was a member here and deserves same respect as other members, he violated no rules here..
 
Last edited:
Who resurrected this p.o.s.? "I'm from the government - I'm here to help."

Bite me.
 
Last edited:
I wish you new guys would stop resurrecting these old dead post. The guy is probably gone. If you want to talk about a subject, start a post. Frank five star.webp
skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.webp
 
Ok don't shoot me we have a local Archaelogical dig going on in my county know. I just saw the news story. I think in the long run The Metal Detecting Community will get its due respect. With all the detected finds from wars on U.S soil, like buttons, belt buckles and plates, tokens, company script and even dog tax tags we have contributed to National and local history in a big way. I saw a few digs in the past and watched, one was at Fort Niagara in New York and one was in Havre de Grace Maryland and I watched with interest and found the people doing the dig very friendly. Here is my local dig link.

Archaeologists work to save relics before construction - Cecil Daily: Local News
 
I see that May 29th, 2012 was the last post of the Archaeologist. I would have enjoyed having a discussion with him. too bad he didn't stay with this thread.
 
Hi Folks; I just read this Post. I to have a lot I'd like to talk about regarding this subject but knowing this Thread is 2 years old now. All
I can say is early HAPPY HOLLOWEEN. !!! :tongue3: :occasion14: :laughing7: :laughing7: :thumbsup: PEACE:RONB. :headbang:

PS: It wasn't me that done it. !!! :thumbsup:
 
Besides my present hobby of detecting, my 32yr background in archaeology is basically fieldwork as a Shovel Bum/Survey/Record/administer Sites on Public Lands. - so we are near like on opinion of these TV shows, that portray metal detectorists as SITE Looters!
Another view of of the actual state of things, is that us detectorists are actually recording, sharing their objects with pride - and very few of us sell our stuff!
...and we pass them around at club meetings, your finds are shared with. Miniature museums...!
Also, returning lost items to the owners is a great feeling to have.
And a few even go on volunteer projects for FS and BLM, finding metal - to add to the total history of this State.
So, me in my retirement, continued to study history, on piece at a time...!
I love metal detecting and the comradeship of your friends. Each person adds to the collective knowledge of the whole.
We learn from each other....
 
archaeologists had these peoples yard torn up for months, they used to track all mud in their house and eat their food. when they had all the bones dug up? they left, no help with the property clean up, just a messy house and a big hole in the front yard., i remember when they found it, the family used to speak about it on the news, .. careful who you call when find stuff like this.

Hyde Park Mastodon | Mastodon bones found in backyard pond - Baltimore Sun
 
I see laws being changed to protect archaeological artifacts of 50 years old. I thought it was a study of past cultures. The law used to be 100 years because if the people are still around its not a past culture is it. That would make what you want to call a archaeological artifact just a lost item. makes me feel archaeologist are being gready.
 
I see people ignoring or destroying stuff to avoid the archies…….just my guess anyway
 
I believe this guy is what terry said he might be.Someone sitting in their underwear trying to make himself important he is very evasive on answering the first question.If you worked for the fbi/cia or us marshalls i could see it.But i don't buy what you are trying to sell.
 
Member has not logged in since 2012.

Reminder attacking members violates our rules, several here are violating our rules...

Thread is locked...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom