willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_5327.JPG 100_5329.JPG Found these Labor Day, haven't found anything to pin down dates of material. found a broke greenstone banner stone also.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang thats a shame on the Banner

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you found some nice stuff! Big congrats on the ax. I really like snapped base piece too.

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , is backside of banner flat ? Looks odd for a banner but doesn't really look like an axe either

Just the way it looks in photo, a nice cresent shaped Banner

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear from some of the experts on here, The hole in your broken banner stone doesn't look drilled to me. I think it could be natural.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a expert but, dont think its natural, i do see lines running with the groove but i think it could have been worked on after it broke. maby tried to be reused for something else.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see much evidence of drilling in the hole, but still looks like a banner to me. Here's one that I found where the hole was enlarged by gouging, totally obliterating all boring marks, so I wouldn't be so quick to shoot it down as naturally formed, especially considering the material that it's made from. Looks like you're on a good site, Willjo.

banner.jpg banner1.jpg
banner3.jpg banner2.jpg

I think I have another broke that exhibits the same properties. I'll see if I can find it and post a picture of it later.

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason the hole does not look drilled is after it was drilled they came back and polished the hole or straightened it. The polished marks show this. 100_5331.JPG 100_5330.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's that frag I mentioned with the same longitudinal marks in the bore as yours, Will.

banner4.jpg banner5.jpg banner6.jpg

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to mention scrapping last night ,but i hated to get out of bed to edit my post again.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you enlarge the photo of the broken banner you can still see some of the drill marks. These things had a shaft stuck through them and it had to move, so long term use would give it a polished look. No one knows for sure what they were used for but JMO I say a weight for a drill system.(just throwing that out there).

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find willjo, many have hunted all their lives and never found an axe or celt.
But to find a piece of a banner stone is all the more unlikely. It's not hollow core ground, so,the hole does not show that particular style of hole grinding.
Nice find! Your's is solid core ground.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Bannerstone would be classified as a "winged" type or a "butterfly" type Bannerstone.
There were two different methods used for forming the holes, and both were used contemporaneously (at the same time) on winged and butterfly Bannerstones. The hollow core method leaves thread scars in the hole, the solid core method used chert tools to make the hole.
They sometimes left vertical scars through the length of the hole, but no thread scars.
The number of archeological sites that have rendered winged and butterfly Bannerstones along with atlatl hooks (bone or antler components of a spear throwing device) has demonstrated that Bannerstones were used as counterweights on Atlatl shafts. I see nothing whatsoever unusual about the hole on your solid core drilled Bannerstone fragment.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread