DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first one might be CW era. The other two are more modern. We would need much more exact measurements and a picture of the base to make a better ID.

ring bullets.jpg

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muzzle loaders were still in use by 1900 and even later in some areas by poorer folks. Many CW rifles and pistols became "army surplus" and were sold to the public for hunting or self defense. It is fairly common to find CW era type bullets that were made and fired or lost well after the CW and that actually have no CW association.

Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Muzzle loaders were still in use by 1900 and even later in some areas by poorer folks. Many CW rifles and pistols became "army surplus" and were sold to the public for hunting or self defense. It is fairly common to find CW era type bullets that were made and fired or lost well after the CW and that actually have no CW association.

gunsil is right on. Many obsolete military weapons were sold for civilian use over the last 100+ years. I have a Pattern 1842 British musket that was "sporterized" around 1900 and sold as a cheap shotgun. My understanding is that these guns were purchased by the pound at scrap prices, the stock and barrel stripped down, then reassembled for civilian sale.

An interesting feature on mine (so I'm told) is the percussion cap nipple is notched so a match head can be used instead of a cap. I'll admit I've never tried it... Mine was stored loaded for half a century and I can't remove the nipple or clear the vent hole.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread