Are you searching for Michigan Treasure without a Metal Detector?

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone searching for Michigan Treasure without a Metal Detector?

Example: Arrowheads, Fossils, Bottles, Minerals, etc...

If so, what are you looking for & what have you found? Is there anything you would like to educate us on? It could spark an interest for someone. :wink: Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Always watch yourfeet, I picked up a gold bracelet on the sidewalk the other day. Look sreaight ahead and see only the trees. Bob

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Here are a couple of barrels that I found in the river. They are 16 inches tall and were about 20 yards apart. They are missing the end with the spigot hole, so I think that they were used for water catchers after they were empty. The first one was in the current for years and the sand wore some holes in it, but it's still a keeper.

Wolverine.

Attachments

• HPIM0816 (2).jpg
    HPIM0816 (2).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 850
  • HPIM0816 (2).jpg
    HPIM0816 (2).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 523
  • HPIM0026 (2) barrel crop 1st.jpg
    HPIM0026 (2) barrel crop 1st.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 607

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
One more relic that I found in the river it' s an anchor that was used for holding logs upstream in the river until the mill was ready for them. I think it was made locally because it was 40 yards upsteam from a blacksmith shop that was by the side of the river. It was made out of a steel rod that had some crude threads at the top and has a 6 foot hand made chain with that was attached to it.

Wolverine.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always keep my eyes open when hunting with a detector cause every now and then I'll spot something good. I've never found an arrowhead but in turn I've never looked for them but there are some people around here that find nice ones regularly in plowed fields.

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Found this arrowhead by complete accident. My dog started wandering away from me on a trail near a creek so as I ran to catch up, I tripped over some exposed roots and landed in the dirt and this beauty was waiting to be found. My first so far, but hopefully not my last!

Attachments

• arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 659
  • arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 476

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have done some bottle hunting, but my brother is really into that. I send him to home sites that I find while metal detecting and he does the bottle thing.

I have found arrow heads here and there, but never really focused on them. Logging era relics are quite abundant in my area due to the importance of the Muskegon port to that industry.

I love rock hunting and have done this since I was a kid. Next up: I would like to pan for gold.
Dan

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been a bottle collector from about 1980 on up. Used to love diggin the old farm dumps in the woods/hillsides. Haven't done that in years tho, once I found an old eye glass frame, remember it was gold and stamped as such. Wish I knew where they were today...have only found one bitters, C E WEBB, Jackson mich., amber, square, embossed cork-top. Found lots of blob top beers and old medicines.
Have only tried privy digging once, didn't find much, we didn't dig deep enough, and we were kids in our teens, lost interest there (whew!) FFD

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done a little dump digging. Here are a few of my favorite finds: old toy horse, a local milk bottle (no chips!), and a watch.

I would love to find some arrowheads. Here's a knife blade my daughter found helping me pick rocks from a new garden area two springs ago. Lucky girl!

Also like rocks and fossils. :)

HH

Attachments

• treasure07 121compress.jpg
    treasure07 121compress.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 453
  • treasure07 176comp.jpg
    treasure07 176comp.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 463
  • treasure07 052compress.jpg
    treasure07 052compress.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 482
  • treasure07 052compress.jpg
    treasure07 052compress.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 432
  • treasure07 159comp.jpg
    treasure07 159comp.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 444
  • treasure07 176comp.jpg
    treasure07 176comp.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 434
  • treasure07 121compress.jpg
    treasure07 121compress.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 434

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been 'eye-ballin' for over 50 years. Last month in Silver Springs, FL I found a man's 14k wedding band in the aisle at Wal Mart. Found a envelope with $320.00 in twenties about 20 years ago. And about 15 years ago after a big dounpour I found a 20 dollar bill sailing around like a little boat in a puddle of water. My wife says some day I will be run over by a car because I always have my nose to the ground.

Mojohand

Oct 18, 2008
rockwood mi
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-70,minelab quattro, garrett ace250
staring at the grounds finaly paid off for me to because my metal detector picked up my find as garbage but i seen the glimer of silver and picked up a thick 24 inch silver chain unfortulently i have been hit by a car

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
I did some rock hunting last year and plan to do tons more this year. Until it warms up I'm mostly reading books on geology and rock/mineral identification. Last year found a bunch of horn coral pieces, a few petoskey stones, other random coral fossils, a bunch of geodes in limestone boulders that contained brown crystals(I think they are calcite but I'm new to this), a couple small pudding stones, and a few pieces of what I think is unakite. One of the pudding stones has a piece of what I think is red jasper in it. I also found a white and black rock that seemed chertish but not sure. I'd really like to find red jasper or agate this year. If anyone has any suggestions, especially for Lake Huron or connecting rivers, I'd be interested. Mostly confused how to identify red jasper aside from just collecting pretty red rocks lol

While in Niagara Falls, NY I spotted a 18 k gold ring and a large pin that I think might have diamonds. Wish I was that lucky here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread