Arizona Prospecting ?

redneckprospector

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all, new to this site. Got a few questions and hope you all could direct me towards the right answers lol. Moving back to Arizona in 2 weeks and taking my equipment with me, granted a few additions for desert prospecting.

But I don't want to hit the wrong areas and receive a nice fine for all my troubles. Anyone know if you are required to get a prospecting permit in Arizona?

If so, could use some direction on who I will need to contact for such information.

Also, do anyone know of public land to work out of, I don't want to wander in someones claim and have to explain that I'm just some dumb redneck lost again lol.

And last for now, any local prospecting equipment suppliers around you might recommend ? Getting tired of ordering online and waiting 3 weeks for equipment.

Anyway that's all for now, thanks everyone for the help.

Upvote 0

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No permit needed. Where in AZ? Many shops in many towns but the price is higher than on line. There are also many clubs.

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A small town, Cave creek, north of Phoenix has a creek (Cave Creek) just to north, has gold. Haven't been there for 30+ years. It's where I first caught the fever.
Your area has several good clubs and several Treasurenet users live there. Try a new thread stating your area.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the desert and T-Net Redneck.

No permits are needed in our state. There are of course the usual "off limits" areas. National parks.monuments etc. Arizona does require that claims be clearly marked, but some people are lax about keeping their signs up to date. It would be best if you were to join a local club to get you in the local swing of things and give you some ground to work right off the bat. If you want to go off and explore on your own, be sure to check land status in the area you want to hunt. I'd suggest that you invest in one of the "footprint" maps (if one covers where ya want to go looking) because they are great for showing geology, claims, water drainage etc etc etc. I used the set for the Greaterville area to help locate some open ground that was well worth filing on. Greaterville is about 45 minutes southeast of Tucson. FootPrints Home

There is also a thread in this section titled "Arizona Members Check In" that could be a big help in finding people up in the Apache Junction area. I know there's at least a couple that should be fairly close to your new digs.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I was nugget hunting in Arizona by Stanton, I met a lot of very helpful people. Of course, just by having prospecting as a common interest, a lot of doors will open for you.

The joining a local club suggestion is a great idea as well, for the same reason as mentioned earlier. Plus, you may just find out which areas are hot!.

Of course, doing as much research as you can before you go will only save you time in the field.

Good luck as you search for gold in the incredibly beautiful desert area of Arizona,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redneckprospector

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great information goldenIrishman, thanks so much. Definatly will be checking this out.
And yes I definatly agree with you Lanny on researching, doing as much as I can online before I get back to AZ. Last year I lived there and got a tickit for camping during the wrong time of year outside of the salt river near coon bluff lol. So this time around just trying to cross my T's and dot my i's ....

This site is very helpful and members are very friendly, thanks again. Who knows might just run into some of yall :)

Last edited:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello when I lived in az I went to castle hot springs road, hassayampa river, vulture mine and quartzite... these are just a very small few places I know of. Check out the hiking shack near cavecreek, the have a claim and tour out there to grab some gold, for a fee. I heard the gold was really good.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Most people don't realize just how much gold there is in Arizona and how wide spread it is. Clay Diggins who is the creator of the "FootPrints" mapping system has done tons of research and packaged it all up by areas. This will save you tons of time and is very much worth the cost of the program(s). Thanks to the Greaterville set as well as a little help from the man himself, my better half and I now have a claim staked and I've learned a lot more than I did before. There are still lots of areas with good gold on them that are available and Clay makes it a LOT easier to find out just where they're at.

OP
OP
R

redneckprospector

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am defiantly sold on footprints. Thanks again for the info on that, had a few places I had wanted to check out last time I lived out there, but work was murder and went to north Dakota to weld for the oil fields. But all is good, heading back very soon out here in Oregon visiting family before heading back :)
Defiantly will be looking for a group/club to join.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions