Dutchquade

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
NSW Australia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning received my 1st metal detector a 3 month old Fisher F5.
Putting it together was a breeze but now I need to set it up correctly so it shows what I detect.
OMG so much to learn! Hope this rookie gets the hang of it soon.

Would be great to have someone close by to instruct me but as far as I know no members are near Campbelltown NSW?

Hope to report on my first find soon.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your new best friend! I hope you enjoy it as I have. You have lots of people nearby...we're all just a keystroke away! This forum is a valuable tool. Ask lots of questions and read a lot. Explore the different sub forums and watch videos on YouTube. One of the subforums is about different brands and devoted to the Fisher brand only. Good luck!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome and good hunting to you!!! let us know how it goes.:occasion14:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read your users manual. Play with the MD in you yard or a friends yard, next day or 2 read the manual again. Play with your machine, repeat until you don't learn anything new form the manual. This was advice given to me and at first I didn't think it would be that important since there was not much to the manual.. Guess what it helped A LOT.
Here is a website that will be of great help to you, maybe not yet but as you start to use your machine it will be VERY helpful
These are the articles that helped me the mostTruth About Search Coils Read it a few pages at a time and make sure when done, you come back a few weeks later after you have used your machine a few times and read it again.
Answer to a question you will have within the first week Halo Effect
link to the list of articles http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detecting_articles.shtml
There is a lot to lean, take your time reading the technical stuff, if you don't get it the first time through, hunt a few times and read it again and it will make sense and light bulbs will go on. Many people don't put in the effort to read and understand the technical things that really can make your learning curve much shorter. Understanding how things work in detail really helps you in the field to understand why and what your machine is telling you. You have to take what you read on the forums with some salt.. don't get to into the "finds" other people make as you do not know how many hours they may put into it to find those things. The location you hunt has more to do with what you find than the machine you are using so research of the location is extremely important. Being able to ask permission on private property that may not have been hunted much and has been around for a long time is key to finding old coins. This is an area of the hobby that can be very challenging and difficult (I really hate knocking on doors as I know how I react when a stranger knocks on mine)
Good luck an happy hunting!

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to learn, dig everything, you will soon get used to the different tones, of the different targets..... Welcome. :thumbsup:

SS

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Make up a practice garden of finds (pennies, nickles, quarters, any gold and silver even trash targets like pull tabs, rusty bottle caps etc.) in your backyard! So you can get used to what the target ID sounds like!
Practice recognizing and identifying these target tones with your detector so you can know what you are swinging over before you dig it up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread