What's new

Arrow Head help?

MightyMouse

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Weeki Wachee, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro
First this is not mine. Someone is getting rid of it on another site. I don't know anything what so ever about Arrowheads but I have seen a bunch of pics. This looks like one good looking Arrowhead.

Can someone tell me more about it? Where it came from? Is it a good arrowhead? Give me your thoughts. Thanks. MM
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140306_160516.webp
    ForumRunner_20140306_160516.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
sorry, but it really looks like a F-A-K-E. Fresh and raw. That's just my very humble opinion... Yak
 
Why would someone fake an Arrowhead? If you knap(not sure if the words right)make on doesn't it take hours or even days to work something. What would be the profit?
 
I am absolutely not meaning to insult in any way, but

Wait for it...
I know more will come...
Yak
p.s. Why, you ask? Easy: Profit. That's the beginning and the end of it. It's all about the profit. Good knappers can crank out lots and lots in a day. Yak
 
Nope nothing you said was insulting in any way what so ever. lol was just thinking what this guy in his post that has the arrowhead he said he found it at his honey hole. I wonder if that's his backyard where he makes em. The only reason I was asking about it is it looks perfect and to good. But I again know nothing about these. Have always wanted to. I have been metal detecting sence 83 and have learned a lot about things I have found. Have never come across arrowheads though. Thanks though for the info.
 
Mighty Mouse with out provenance and history of the find it just becomes and arrow head. It is pretty material but the workmanship is lacking. Any idea where it is from?
 
Now see in my eyes it looks like a very well worked arrowhead. Nope sorry all I can tell you is he says he's from Bonifay Fl. I'm not 100% sure if that's the city he found it at. Thanks
 
Mighty Mouse with out provenance and history of the find it just becomes and arrow head. It is pretty material but the workmanship is lacking. Any idea where it is from?

i agree with Tnmountains. Being from the northeast i know nothing about FL point types or processes . but the point looks a little chunky, meaning its not nice and thin , which is because the flaking. This looks like the points i make in my backyard . I'm not skilled enough to get my flakes to go across the whole point to thin them out. thus your left with a thicker piece with small flakes near the edges.
 
That looks like flint ridge material. Im not sure florida has that type. I am thinking it is modern made. Its nice in color but if you dont mind what price is it being offered for?
 
Its a site that uses credits to bid not money. Course the more credits you have the better off you are for bidding and winning other things. Sorta like eBay but credits. The only money that might change hands is if people charge for shipping but he's doing free shipping. You would think if fake he would be trying to sell unless of course he's tried to and got called out on it. Not for sure. I have been a member here sence 09 I think so I knew people would be honest. Thanks.
 
That is what I would call a knocked out point, meaning I could nock it out in 10 min. With out better pics I can not tell for sure, but it looks like the stone is India jasper. The ear has been broken and it is thick looking so I would not spend over $5.JMO
 
I have to agree that it looks like a modern knock off. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but I just have the feeling that it looks like the modern made Mexican points that are sold in tourist traps for a dollar or so each. I will post a photo of a point I found in Nevada, and hopefully you can see the flaking pattern and perhaps see what we are talking about.
Nevada4.webp
 
Not hurting my feelings a bit. Just knew if I posted a pic here I would get some info. Thank you.
 
i know those "credit" sites. he can either sell the credits or trade them for other things. just an easy way to make em instead of clicking adds or whatever.
 
That looks like it is a poor job of a modern knapped arrowhead. As far as modern knapped points being fake is incorrect. Modern knapped points are made with real chert, obsiidian, jasper, agate and other forms of stone. The modern points are not the points that were knapped 100 years ago and older.
 
Perhaps I used the wrong word. Not fake, but not an artifact. How about arti-fake? (made to look like an antiquity but using non-native material and a rather sloppy style of manufacture). Yak
 
The word fake isnt really allowed on tnet. Modern is though.
 
Modern knapped points are made with the same material that the native people used. There are some other things that are being used for knapping like glass, fiber optic, goldstone and computer chip that the native people didn't have. They can be referred to as modern knapped or reproductions the word that was used is incorrect.
 
I had no idea. Really sorry about that. Won't happen again. Live and learn, right? (tail between legs...) Yak.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom