Arrow Head while digging hole...

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in my own yard, ive been metal detecting it for a while now, and still finding random stuff... While metal detecting one area, i found something sticking out of the ground, so i (atempted) to dig it, (still didnt get object out, goes deep in) and found this in the dirt while digging, the most indian artifacts I've found consist of 2 very small pieces of flint. And now in my own yard i find this!

IMG_0181.JPGIMG_0182.JPGIMG_0183.JPG

Upvote 1
Sorry but it is just a rock, not an artifact...

That looks like the big piece of flint the two smaller pieces came off of? Could be the early makings of an arrow head I guess but it didn't make it.

No sign of it ever being worked.....

All I know is.. In south Georgia.. There isn't really flint laying around, or rocks really of any kind.. Except sandstone. So it got here by someone

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Fractures by nature, not by man...

The Flint River, which stretches from the Piedmont down to the Chattahoochee River in southwest Georgia, has lots of flint and it flows for 200 miles through Ga. Native Americans knew this and collected it for artifacts...

Not trying to rain on your parade at all but if you get caught up in collecting rocks thinking they are artifacts you will never learn what to look for..... Too many new artifact hunters think ever pointed rock or mother nature shaped rock is an artifact and never learn what signs to look for to find artifacts.....

Last edited:
Love it! It sure makes you think when you find something that doesn't belong!! They must have camped on your property! Sometimes I'll rake out a good spot and come back after a few rains. Keep your eyes peeled!

Fractures by nature, not by man...

The Flint River, which stretches from the Piedmont down to the Chattahoochee River in southwest Georgia, has lots of flint and it flows for 200 miles through Ga. Native Americans knew this and collected it for artifacts...

Interresting.....

I find pieces of coal that has the appearance of being worked all the time. I always stop to check them out, and sometimes it takes me a minute to figure out exactly what I'm looking at.

I'm about 3-4 hours away from chataoochee river.. Your talking south west.. I'm talking south east.. Near savannah

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

If i went straight west to that river, it would be 228 miles....

Im just saying, in my area, flint is not natural @ all... it had to be of been brought by someone.. The indians from my area (which were all around our town) traded it with the westm indians to get it, and the fact its shaped like an arrow head, just backs it up..

Ill try to take better pictures from a top view, you cant tell from the pics the bottom chips curve that well due to the angle

Last edited:
Mother nature forms billions of rocks in pointed shapes, man's imagination tries to see man made shapes in them. There us nothing in your rock to suggest it is an artifact..

Mother nature forms billions of rocks in pointed shapes, man's imagination tries to see man made shapes in them. There us nothing in your rock to suggest it is an artifact..

Im sorry, i cant agree with you, there is. no. flint. in this area that is natural, you obviously do not know where i live very well if you think its natural.

What you said would make sense, in west ga, north ga, but in deep south east georgia, than no.

one my friend found the other day - DSC00083.JPG
see the differences

If this was found in your yard, it may have been hauled in with fill dirt from somewhere else that may have contained natural flint deposits. That being said, I am not sure you can't rule out that this may have been part of the flakes from the knapping done by local Native Americans.While definitely not a "point", it may have been associated with the making of points.Without a scale for size comparison it is hard to tell.

If this was found in your yard, it may have been hauled in with fill dirt from somewhere else that may have contained natural flint deposits. That being said, I am not sure you can't rule out that this may have been part of the flakes from the knapping done by local Native Americans.While definitely not a "point", it may have been associated with the making of points.Without a scale for size comparison it is hard to tell.

ill add a rule for refrence.

ill add a rule for refrence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back