- Joined
- Jan 9, 2007
- Messages
- 14,115
- Reaction score
- 4,540
- Golden Thread
- 4
- Location
- North Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 5
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:I don't even think that's a trade item... I think it's a souvenir type deal.
I also don't think it's an authentic modern(ish) arrowhead but have no idea on it's actual identity...
I'm shooting for 1940s tourist paraphernalia. :P
trikikiwi said:Cool find.
My WAG, I would think it is fairly modern style, given the socket for the shaft.
Some known old heads
http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/OKArtifacts/metalpt.htm
Mike

kuger said:There were and are many broadheads made and used to this day.As said the Fred Bear heads were very popular (I myself took many animals from deer to elk with them.Also off the top of my head were the Howard Hill points(he was the first white man to kill an Elephant with a bow and arrow,in the early fifties)also were the Zwickeys (I used them for years especially on bears,hogs and such,because they were nearly indestructible)that looked a lot like yours.It isnt junk....they dont make them anymore.
Montana Jim said:kuger said:There were and are many broadheads made and used to this day.As said the Fred Bear heads were very popular (I myself took many animals from deer to elk with them.Also off the top of my head were the Howard Hill points(he was the first white man to kill an Elephant with a bow and arrow,in the early fifties)also were the Zwickeys (I used them for years especially on bears,hogs and such,because they were nearly indestructible)that looked a lot like yours.It isnt junk....they dont make them anymore.
Good post... interesting.
Your right, this thing is HUGE! (unless you have a small hand) That would be a heavy arrow. Broadheads are smaller and razor thin. This looks thicker and with barbs. My guess is a fish spear, not hunting. (unless they used to make em big)TnMountains said:Big for a zwickey broad head?? Looks more like a spear. Here is a zwickey. Looks to be a hand forged spear point. Maybe not trade era.. but spear point with a drop tang.More like the eel or fish types.
I wasnt stating that it was a Zwickey.more the similar style(two blade).I would have to disagree withe statement it being "huge",makes it a spear point,a 150 + grain broadhead is pretty large.Look how small the shaft insert is......not much of a spear!TnMountains said:Big for a zwickey broad head?? Looks more like a spear. Here is a zwickey. Looks to be a hand forged spear point. Maybe not trade era.. but spear point with a drop tang.More like the eel or fish types.
I agree its kinda small for a throwing spear. Myself, I was thinking of a fish spear gun, not hunting. It would be nice if we could see it side by side with a 150 grain broadhead. Its hard to visualize.kuger said:I wasnt stating that it was a Zwickey.more the similar style(two blade).I would have to disagree withe statement it being "huge",makes it a spear point,a 150 + grain broadhead is pretty large.Look how small the shaft insert is......not much of a spear!TnMountains said:Big for a zwickey broad head?? Looks more like a spear. Here is a zwickey. Looks to be a hand forged spear point. Maybe not trade era.. but spear point with a drop tang.More like the eel or fish types.
That's was what I was going to say Bear 1970's although the style is still made today to hunt dangerous game both in the US and in Africa.4-H said:Intersting, Doug. When I started Bow hunting in Michigan (early 70,s) My father had an assortment of older Broadheads made by Bear archery. (Fred Bear) They were a one piece design and then later a new design where a razor blade attachement could be inserted. With that being said, the one posted is certainly older IMO than 1940. Very cool NC find