Arrowhead or rock? Plus nice painted pottery shard too

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some photos of what I think might be an arrowhead that I found today in southern Arizona.
I found it on the surface of the ground in an area that is littered with pottery shards for several acres of all shapes and kinds. There's also lots of flint flakes in the area too. I think at one point the place was either a village or a crossroads of sorts and it may have been a route down from the mountains to a wash that's nearby that might have once provided water.
The broken point on the "arrowhead" is a clean break, its not smooth and worked over like the rest of the edges.
The side profile is also a clear oval shape. If its just a rock its a very unique one at that.
Also attached is a picture of a very nice shard I found today too (Mimbres?). Its the only shard I found that was painted. All the others were plain red clay or just had rough parallel lines etched into the clay.

5404054654_75a58eae90_z.jpg

5404055158_701f9e0b1a_z.jpg

5404054056_8ac81f2923_z.jpg

5403454641_eba8dc0768_z.jpg

Upvote 0

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Nice GreyGhost. the rock looks worked to me, is painted pieces like that common in s.Arizona well preserverd jag ya got there.

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the first pottery shard I've ever found that's been painted like that.
Everything else has usually just been plain red clay or plain on one side and crude parallel lines etched on the other.
So you guys pretty sure its an artifact? Looks worked to you? :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you guys like the painted stuff here's a pic of a few more pieces I've found around southern Arizona along with some neat flint pieces.
The tiny white piece I think is the tip of an arrowhead.
I don't know if the large flint pieces are much of anything. Maybe they were "raw" flint used in trading that the indians would chisel down for arrowheads?

5405088107_62b76e631d_b.jpg

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone ID the arrowhead like Paleo, Archaic etc.?

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PrimitiveOne said:
Can't tell by just the tip-nice pottery

Thank you.
I was wondering about the very first arrowhead I posted at the top of the page. What kind do you think it is?

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bump for any ideas on age/origin of the first point.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread