Artifact Stories

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post up some of your cool artifact hunting stories as we all have them. It was during the middle 80's and I was walking one of my favorite fields when I heard a quiet thump-thump-thump-thump in the distance. It was really fast and continuous. After a minute or so, it began to get loud and all of a sudden, it came out of no where just feet above the top of the trees and was going extremely fast. It was the brand new Apache attack helicopter and as soon as he came over the trees, it dropped down low and hovered just feet off the ground and less than 50 yards from me. In his haste, the pilot didn't see me (I always wore camo back then) and his helmet gun tracking was activated and his 30mm gun began to sweep the field. Even with his visor down, I could see the pilot's surprise when he saw me standing in the middle of the field and he realized his 30mm chain gun was pointing at me. He spun around and decided to hide in another field.

I wasn't far from Ft. Rucker and the Apaches were doing training exercises. The Apache had just come into production and as a teenager, I thought they were the baddest weapon in the sky. To have one that close and see it in action was pretty cool.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i was driving past Fort Lewis one day years ago and a flight of six Apaches just came out of nowhere and passed right over me...I remember thinking "if i saw those on the battle field i would soil myself"...They look like dragons

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Rucker, you are close to my neck of the woods. I get buzzed by them helicopters on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wasn't hunting at the time. but i was in my farm fields just after plowing it and i was pickin some of the boulders out that i plowed up and i hear this roar coming at me . all of a sudden this huge military cargo plane emerges from behind the tree line . couldnt have been more then 10,000 feet up. not long after it passes me it turns and goes back the way it came. I'm still standing there asking myself "what the h3!! was that?' when 2 fighter jets zoom by , then turn just as the first one did. this was 2003, the only thing i could figure was the military was doing a hijack drill.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of Fort Rucker Alabama, there used to be some plowed fields near the town of Clayhatchee close to the creek that were worth looking in. I had permission from the farmers to hunt them back 20+ years ago when I was stationed there. I'm sure I didn't get them all. Good luck.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you one from today. I was walking a cold creek knee deep finding nothing but flakes and pottery. I decided to wade to 1 more gravel bar cause the banks were to tall to crawl out. I was knee deep when I say something gray in the middle and with the current I couldnt make it out what it was. I used my stick to try and pry it but no luck. So I rolled up my sleeve up and was just inches from drinking the water (turned my head) my ear was getting wet and grabbed my 2nd CELT found to date. Posting it in a min, rock

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you one from today. I was walking a cold creek knee deep finding nothing but flakes and pottery. I decided to wade to 1 more gravel bar cause the banks were to tall to crawl out. I was knee deep when I say something gray in the middle and with the current I couldnt make it out what it was. I used my stick to try and pry it but no luck. So I rolled up my sleeve up and was just inches from drinking the water (turned my head) my ear was getting wet and grabbed my 2nd CELT found to date. Posting it in a min, rock

Cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and silicone plexiglass in the bottom. It acts like a mask and is great for water up to 3 ft or so.

My Dad and I were walking along the edge of a dug out depression when we say something swimming through the water. It looked like a gator but as it approached us, we realized it was a snake. It wasn't just any snake, it was the biggest snake either of us had ever seen. We'd both seen 6 1/2 ft diamond backs before and this thing dwarfed them. It had a huge head so we assumed it was poisonous. It was easily over 8 ft long. We did what any Dad or son would do in that situation, we decided to bomb it. We didn't have much to throw so my Dad picks up this huge, hardened dirt mound and heaves it at the snake. A big "caploosh" and the snake left wondering what in the world just happened. We then spent the next few minutes getting the ants off my Dad because the huge dirt mound was an ant bed. I don't know what kind of snake that was, but it was a big one.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would always hunt those plains village sites in SW Oklahoma. There was a guy whose name I won't mention cause he's kinda well known and an 'authority' on arrowheads. Without fail after every rain on a plowed field he would beat us to those sites. You would see his tracks and he walked a pattern. Best day and coolest thing is one time we found a perfect Washita point dead center in one of his footprints.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Walking a corn field. My wife several hundred feet to my left, other side of field. Suddenly, a voice, right out loud, directly into my right ear: "Arrowhead!!". Startled, I spun to my right. Nobody, as far as the eye could see. What the hey? I look at the ground to my left. To my right. Behind me, where I already looked. Ahead of me. Nothing. I shrug my shoulders and begin to walk forward. No! That was a voice out loud! There must be a reason for it! On the ground, right alongside my left foot is a big oak leaf. I stoop down, and lift it up. Beneath it, completely hidden from view is an arrowhead. A tiny triangle. And here it is. The point I found when a voice spoke into my ear!

[/FONT] image.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]A Summer day at the beach. About 45 years ago. Lying on my back, on a beach towel. Eyes closed. Right arm extended to my right, scooping up sand, making a fist, letting the sand run out like an hourglass. Over and over with that idle play. At one point, a pebble is left in my fist after the sand ran out. I feel its shape with my fingers. Suddenly, a light goes off in my noggin, lol. I sit bolt upright, open my eyes, open my fist, and there's a point!! [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]And here it is. The point I found lying on my back with my eyes closed, lol.....

[/FONT] image.jpg

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Walking a corn field. My wife several hundred feet to my left, other side of field. Suddenly, a voice, right out loud, directly into my right ear: "Arrowhead!!". Startled, I spun to my right. Nobody, as far as the eye could see. What the hey? I look at the ground to my left. To my right. Behind me, where I already looked. Ahead of me. Nothing. I shrug my shoulders and begin to walk forward. No! That was a voice out loud! There must be a reason for it! On the ground, right alongside my left foot is a big oak leaf. I stoop down, and lift it up. Beneath it, completely hidden from view is an arrowhead. A tiny triangle. And here it is. The point I found when a voice spoke into my ear!

[/FONT] View attachment 1414621
Interesting Charl, I like that story. The spirits enjoying the hunt with you. They guide us in more way than we think. I've seen and heard of it many times.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That gave me chills. True story? I swear sometimes when I am out I feel like there is something close and I usually find something.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That gave me chills. True story? I swear sometimes when I am out I feel like there is something close and I usually find something.

Yes, true story, rock. First and only time I ever heard a voice. I'm glad I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth, lol. I figured there had to be a point there somewhere, even if I had no idea where that voice came from. Makes you wonder how the world is put together. Sounds like you've learned to recognize that sixth sense. I think when you're into something at a real intense level, that sense can come into play, and it pays to go with it.

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arrowhead ESP....................a good thing to have.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]A Summer day at the beach. About 45 years ago. Lying on my back, on a beach towel. Eyes closed. Right arm extended to my right, scooping up sand, making a fist, letting the sand run out like an hourglass. Over and over with that idle play. At one point, a pebble is left in my fist after the sand ran out. I feel its shape with my fingers. Suddenly, a light goes off in my noggin, lol. I sit bolt upright, open my eyes, open my fist, and there's a point!! [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]And here it is. The point I found lying on my back with my eyes closed, lol.....

[/FONT] View attachment 1414634

This may be the best story I've heard. Eyes closed on the beach, nice!

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going swimming at one of the man made beaches in the area. While I was paying for my ticket I noticed a nice flaked ax the person was using for a paper weight and asked him about it, all I had to do is find him another rock and I was on my way with nice flaked ax.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped to look over a dirt pile at a construction site where a new car wash was going up.

Not a very big one, they had a top soil, and a sub soil pile.

Kids tracks covered them, bicycle tracks, footprints, but lo and behold, there was a paper thin, double fluted clovis standing up like a little tombstone. my hands were shaking when I picked it up.

it was on the sub soil pile.

Probably my best find ever after 45 yrs. 2 3/8 inch long.

100_0694.JPG

100_0693.JPG

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Stopped to look over a dirt pile at a construction site where a new car wash was going up.

Not a very big one, they had a top soil, and a sub soil pile.

Kids tracks covered them, bicycle tracks, footprints, but lo and behold, there was a paper thin, double fluted clovis standing up like a little tombstone. my hands were shaking when I picked it up.

it was on the sub soil pile.

Probably my best find ever after 45 yrs. 2 3/8 inch long.

View attachment 1415325

View attachment 1415326

Sweet...so uh, where exactly is this car wash at ;)
;

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful point. Glad you stopped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread