Artifacts recently found from the 1800's at our ranch

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum and I'd excited to share my recent discoveries!

Our ranch has been in the family for more than 100 years and there were always stories about war battles during the time when my great great grandfather operated a sheep farm in the late 1800's.

A couple of weeks ago I found an older map that showed an area of the ranch labeled the "Old Camp". So I decided to walk the area and I was shocked to find more than I ever thought.

I went a little heavy on the presentation of each artifact because I plan on showing them to my extended family at our next family reunion.

button.png china.png dial_clover.png doll_buckles.png

Upvote 15

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great first post! I really like what you are doing with preserving and documenting your finds. Good stuff!

OP
OP
B

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

What should I do next? Would it be too disruptive to get a bobcat and start digging up larger parts of dirt then sift? I built two sifters since I first found the artifacts.

Texas T

Jul 4, 2016
Sun Lakes / Show Low, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!

What should I do next? Would it be too disruptive to get a bobcat and start digging up larger parts of dirt then sift? I built two sifters since I first found the artifacts.

Excellent presentation of your finds. The bobcat / sifter would certainly move things along more quickly as long as you understand the possibility of possibly breaking / scarring a really valuable find.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All on your ranch? Wow! Congrats!

OP
OP
B

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot soon. I'll keep you all updated!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the presentation of the artifacts, as they will be more meaningful at the family reunion.
Great haul...! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All at my ranch but whats crazy is that everything was found in one general area.

The green icons are where I found artifacts, the blue is where there was nothing, the yellow star is where I found the most:

IMG_7405.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hallmarks on flatware help date stuff, huh? So, digging fast or SLOW is the answer?
I've always loved the slower method, as recoveries seem more exciting than fast - I've been paid
to do both - time constraints and the site dictated methods....

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds and your great presentations. Welcome to the forum from Oregon!

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Saves!!, there must be more.

OP
OP
B

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hallmarks on flatware help date stuff, huh? So, digging fast or SLOW is the answer?
I've always loved the slower method, as recoveries seem more exciting than fast - I've been paid
to do both - time constraints and the site dictated methods....

Great point! I?m going back this weekend, we?ll see what I find.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's to you on some Great Historical saves and finds. Finding these artifacts on your property make these artifacts all the more personal. Be careful as to not give too much information away as to your site and property. Some surf these forums in search of such information. You are off to a great start. I have been a relic hunter for nearly 40 years and I have compiled a catalog of my nicer finds relics of info. such as the I'D of the artifact, the date and location where found such as a battle site or encampment, and whether the relic was a Confetrit' or Union or a Federal piece. Also any piece of information that could go along with the artifact, such as carved bullets found in encampments, whether it may have been a Corps Badge, or a game piece, or just a bullet whittled on by a bored of homesick soldier. This way years later you can go through your catalog that coincides with your display cases and relive the excitement on your finds years later. By the way, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia from an ole' relic hunter, and the Best of Luck to you on your site. Pound that site hard, low and slow.

Last edited:

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find a good source that compiles all the pottery back marks? I've gotten overwhelmed when trying to match up some of mine. Impressed you were able to find all of yours!

OP
OP
B

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find a good source that compiles all the pottery back marks? I've gotten overwhelmed when trying to match up some of mine. Impressed you were able to find all of yours!

Not really, I just search the words that I found on the mark and then go to google images. It?s usually pretty easy.

If you have some you want me to help you search, send me a message.

OP
OP
B

Benclark

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's to you on some Great Historical saves and finds. Finding these artifacts on your property make these artifacts all the more personal. Be careful as to not give too much information away as to your site and property. Some surf these forums in search of such information. You are off to a great start. I have been a relic hunter for nearly 40 years and I have compiled a catalog of my nicer finds relics of info. such as the I'D of the artifact, the date and location where found such as a battle site or encampment, and whether the relic was a Confetrit' or Union or a Federal piece. Also any piece of information that could go along with the artifact, such as carved bullets found in encampments, whether it may have been a Corps Badge, or a game piece, or just a bullet whittled on by a bored of homesick soldier. This way years later you can go through your catalog that coincides with your display cases and relive the excitement on your finds years later. By the way, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia from an ole' relic hunter, and the Best of Luck to you on your site. Pound that site hard, low and slow.

Great advice, thanks!

You mentioned bullets, here is a slide I put together yesterday on a bullet I found that had an interesting mark:

B251D0B6-5654-4238-9EC6-FA1639A8591E.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread