What's new

Asian coin?

jml818

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
118
Reaction score
459
Golden Thread
0
Location
Philadelphia, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My nephews found this lying near their house. It?s newer house on older land so I?m just curious if anyone could identify it? I realize the picture has no other objects for size comparison I?ll try to get them to send that to me.
 

Attachments

  • 89E6EC65-8F9E-4740-9624-D3817882214F.webp
    89E6EC65-8F9E-4740-9624-D3817882214F.webp
    374.9 KB · Views: 111
  • F53A25EB-DBC1-420C-960E-6AFD833C5678.webp
    F53A25EB-DBC1-420C-960E-6AFD833C5678.webp
    456.7 KB · Views: 94
Thanks DCMatt. Looks like it’s a Chinese cash coin for sure.
 
Upvote 0
I think this is not a cash coin, but a Chinese amulet styled on a cash. With a bit of enhancement, I can just make out a “double-dragon”, which is one of the typical designs used on these amulets. I’ve pictured a similar one alongside yours below and the easiest points of comparison are the tails of the dragons. The one I’ve pictured is not as old as yours, but they’re difficult to date.

Amulet.webp

These are often sold as “coins” on fleabay and elsewhere but they weren’t used as currency and don’t have the typical characters (usually representing the mint) or other coin designs on the reverse. Usually they have symbolic animals from Chinese folklore. I can’t make out the characters on the obverse but usually, instead of having the Emperor reign marks found on coins, they have characters that translate as “Long Happy Life”, “Great Riches” and other platitudes for good luck. They were given for exactly that purpose… to bring good luck to the recipient.
 
Upvote 0
When I was a kid that was a good coin to tie a sting to
 
Upvote 0
Unfortunately many newly made I-Ching coins look like this too.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom