Ask for permission

Nomadnailer

Apr 6, 2011
Montrose, WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i with dx-1 sunray probe, Whites xlt, Tesoro lobo st,
I have been passing a piece of property for 30 years and always wondered, but everyone always said that I would never get permission because it's tied up in the family they never thought to go to the one running the show. Well I finally asked and found a 1943 silver nickle, 1900 barber dime, a gold signet ring and some old ivory soap tokens and I'm just starting that's about 2 hours work. I guess it pays to ask

Upvote 19
hey the worst they can say is no!

nice work getting permission!

Sweet ! Sometimes, with those old abandoned properties, there never seems to be anyone TO ask, huh? Coupla times, I put on a hardhat and orange vest and went and did it anyway........don't tell anyone.

Sweet ! Sometimes, with those old abandoned properties, there never seems to be anyone TO ask, huh? Coupla times, I put on a hardhat and orange vest and went and did it anyway........don't tell anyone.

You're joking or are you just saying that to Pi** folks off?

If you do it well you really put the whole hobby in a bad light, detecting without permission is just wrong, it's the way I see it

Last edited:
Rut roh, it's gonna get ugly in here, Im gonna go get my popcorn lol

People at work call me the spoon because I stir the sh*t pot. That said...

Some say it's better to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission....or wait, that's with our wives...

Lol. I'm bettin' this thread goes on for a while!

Really? Why is it that people can't just be honest and do things right? One thing I can't stand is sneaky people. Another thing I really can't stand is people that do dumb sh*t and ruin it for the ones that do it right. I told myself I wasn't going to respond to this. I believe I lied to myself

Really? Why is it that people can't just be honest and do things right? One thing I can't stand is sneaky people. Another thing I really can't stand is people that do dumb sh*t and ruin it for the ones that do it right. I told myself I wasn't going to respond to this. I believe I lied to myself

A dishonest find I'm sure is like cheating for a win - it just lacks the luster and feeling of a killer find. I remember once I found a LC in a park I though was legal. I had permission and everything. Later on the board member that gave me permission told me he was wrong and it took something big away for me. I donated the 1700's flowing hair cent to the to board. Must have been worth a few hundred...

Last edited:

What it does is actually ticks me off, I bust my butt asking permission and get many many many no's, however I would never just sneak up on a place and detect, for one it's shady, also is a 2 dollar silver dime worth the fine, or even potential ride in the squad car?

Uughhhh

Yeah I accidentally ended up on somebody's property as it butted up to a large public area. I felt really bad and wrote the property owner apologizing and explaining that I had ended up on there property. They wrote me a letter back and said if you care enough and are thoughtful enough to write us this letter you are the kind of person we would welcome on our property. This ended being a nice friendship and they own the first settled piece of land in my town. 1669. I just made them a display with the finds from the property. I have done some really dumb stuff and always manned up and dealt with the consequences. What I never do is try to deceive people and be sneaky. Those are very poor qualities in my opinion

It is my belief that, as is life, you will get out of this hobby what you put into it. If you mean what you say, and do what you say, and are honest and sincere, then the rewards will be great. If you are an unscrupulous dirtbag, then you will have shallow rewards and your hobby will be chunky and tight. I would rather have a smooth and creamy existence. Its all about the flow, yo.

The worst they could have said was no. Glad you got permission and congrats on the finds.

Yeah I accidentally ended up on somebody's property as it butted up to a large public area. I felt really bad and wrote the property owner apologizing and explaining that I had ended up on there property. They wrote me a letter back and said if you care enough and are thoughtful enough to write us this letter you are the kind of person we would welcome on our property. This ended being a nice friendship and they own the first settled piece of land in my town. 1669. I just made them a display with the finds from the property. I have done some really dumb stuff and always manned up and dealt with the consequences. What I never do is try to deceive people and be sneaky. Those are very poor qualities in my opinion

Nice! I thought I was the only one that built displays of some of the finds for the property owners. Everytime I do I get free reign of the property and I am always welcome, anytime...anyday. They are always surprised and love it!

I usually don't ask the bums sleeping on the front porch..I don't like to wake them :laughing7:

records

Yeah it pays to ask if it was private property and not owned by a pubic entity. Heck you possibly could have asked me as I may have had just as much authority over the place as the person you did ask. I hope you checked records for legal ownership but if you didn't and took the word of someone that said they had the right to give you permission you did okay by my standards. We are suppose to know the law and if someone told you they had the right to allow you to detect there then I think you legally could. Without checking records don't assume they acted legally but don't let someone else's actions deter you from hunting. I am surprised sometimes by the "always ask" crowd that usually seem to only be concerned about asking till they get a yes , are not interested in asking if that yes is coming from someone with authority.

I only live 10 miles I only go if they give me written permission because families are wierd

..... but if you didn't and took the word of someone that said they had the right to give you permission you did okay by my standards....

kemper, whenever I ask at some property, I take ANYONE'S "yes", and go with it. Even if it's just the little girl standing on the corner, or the hired-hand window-washing service, etc.... I never argue with a "yes" :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back