What's new

AT Pro and surf line/wet sand

Dak

Full Member
Joined
May 26, 2013
Messages
176
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure this question has been asked many times. Anywho. How well does the AT Pro work at the beach on wet sand and in the surf line? Does anyone here own and regularly hunt using an AT pro in these conditions. Thank you for any assistance and advice you could render. I am on the fence about buying a newer detector and am considering the AT as one of the options. My old inherited Sea Hunter XL 500 is just that. OLD.
 
Upvote 0
The ATP is ok in the wet sand and surf, but i'd go with a Tesoro pi machine or another good saltwater machine if this is your primary hunting environment. The ATP is very chattery even with a good ground balance. It does lose depth as you can't raise the sens too high or it gets very unstable.
 
my AT Pro is too unstable for the beach - I chose a PI for my surf hunting (seahunter 2) and couldn't be happier.
 
With the AT Pro's single output freq it will suffer on most saltwater wet sand unless you greatly reduce the sens. But beaches are different as to the amount of salt concentrations and black sand where some guys will swear the AT Pro works well in the wet sand, other guys can't keep it stable holding the coil in the air.
 
Thank you I appreciate all of your honest input. I was hoping for a reasonably priced all purpose machine. My old sea hunter still works good but is heavy when in the woods or out shooting coins, relics.
Sandman: lots of black sand along the CT, RI, MA coastlines keeps MD interesting
 
Thank you I appreciate all of your honest input. I was hoping for a reasonably priced all purpose machine. My old sea hunter still works good but is heavy when in the woods or out shooting coins, relics.
Sandman: lots of black sand along the CT, RI, MA coastlines keeps MD interesting

if I use my SH on land, I clip the detachable battery to my belt - much easier.
not sure if the previous models do this?
 
Thank you I appreciate all of your honest input. I was hoping for a reasonably priced all purpose machine. My old sea hunter still works good but is heavy when in the woods or out shooting coins, relics.
Sandman: lots of black sand along the CT, RI, MA coastlines keeps MD interesting
If you have black sand I don't think the AT would be a good choice...mine works good down here in Florida but our beaches are very mild...I hear people have trouble with the AT at some of the northern beaches.
 
If you have black sand I don't think the AT would be a good choice...mine works good down here in Florida but our beaches are very mild...I hear people have trouble with the AT at some of the northern beaches.
This is correct! Like all metal detectors each hand a place and time.
 
BVI this is around 1979 vintage. The 2 NiCad 9V are inside the case. I replaced them once myself and sent the machine to Garrett about 10 years ago when I had them go through the entire unit. The NiCads are starting to get punky again so I was looking for a machine to do it all when i send it back one last time.

hope you find what you are looking for
 
I use the AT on the beach and wet sand. It will false a little on the wet but adjusting the gnd bal takes care of it. On the dry sand has been excellent for me. I can work Pro mode with no discrimination with no problems. In the water I use my PI as it is lighter and I know every little sound it makes.
 
Last edited:
Given all of the responses I plan to use my XL500 at the beach mostly, and to purchase an AT for the remainder of my searching. I will wait until winter to ship the XL in for it's decade reconditioning.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom