AT Pro Gorgeous 1902 Barber Dime at 6"

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a private yard with my bestie AKA Mineslob. Small house built in 1929. Didn't find much, but what we did find was nice. Mineslob hit a gold ring with his E Trac, and I hit this beautiful 1902 Barber Dime. It's weird because I hit silver with the AT Pro, and he hit gold with his E Trac? Would have thought it would have been the other way around. Anyways, the Barber Dime rang up as a solid 82, jumped to 83 once or twice. I've noticed the Barber stuff tends to ring a little lower than other silver coins. This one was no exception. Anyways, great shape. Very happy. And cheers to Mineslob on hitting gold. image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10
that's a nice one, I think I dug a few barbers in the 86-89 range last year, but my numbers constantly seemed off from olddudes, I wonder if something was wrong with my coil

anyway...COOL BARBER!!!

Nice Barber, it is slighter nicer then my one I just found, mine rang solid 83 on PRO

NICE FIND !! :thumbsup:

Nice dig congrats

Cjon455, yeah that seems very high for a dime? That's typical silver quarter range for me??

i was digging silver quarters at 89-91

Nice looking Barber. Love them old silvers.

Huh? Could be a soil monetization thing going on? Not really sure? As long as you know what you're digging, I guess that's all that really matters anyway....

Huh? Could be a soil monetization thing going on? Not really sure? As long as you know what you're digging, I guess that's all that really matters anyway....
I always dug anything repeatable over 40 at private properties so I learned what my different numbers were telling me, if I was getting 8687, silver dime, 89-91 sometimes silver dime, or quarter.....

Great looking dime! I've noticed that VDI tends to vary. I've dug silver dimes at 84 and clad quarters at 84. The coil I use tends to make a difference, and depth definitely does. I also tend to set ground balance at a -5, which seems to mess with the VDI a bit. Generally I ignore what the VDI is, and just pay attention to the tone. Best bet is, dig, dig, dig.

That's a beauty of a dime. Congrats. VDI will vary due to the position of the target in the ground, depth, soil composition, and any other targets nearby. Agree with Cjon- anything repeating over 40 has a chance to be a keeper.

Sweet Barber!!

Cjon455, another explanation might be that you don't have an American At Pro? I think they're tweaked differently depending on which country you hunt in. They set them up based on your country's coins. You might have accidentally gotten a European one etc??

Cjon455, another explanation might be that you don't have an American At Pro? I think they're tweaked differently depending on which country you hunt in. They set them up based on your country's coins. You might have accidentally gotten a European one etc??

I guess anythings possible, it doesn't say atp international on it, made no difference for me, I just dug all good repeatable tones above iron

Great Barber save there Chestdiesel !! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back