AT Pro vs. MX5 vs. A Few Others!! Just Curious what everyones thoughts are on these?

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro vs. MX5 vs. A Few Others!! Curious your thoughts on the best $500 range rig?

I know the detector you choose is really only good if you choose to learn and understand it and know how to use it regardless of what machine a guy has (Hell some cheap units find more stuff cause the user is one with his rig whereas the guy with the 1-2K dollar machine finds less cause he does not know how to operate it correctly, but I just want info on "the detectors themselves" if used properly) ...... I Know I will get tons of different answers and thoughts on all of this based on peoples current detectors, reviews, hearsay, past experience with a brand, Etc. Etc. Etc. ...... Just want to get some no nonsense thoughts and feedback on the Garrett and Whites in particular among the few others. Thanks for any constructive info you can provide. :icon_thumright:

So I am a new member and about 15+ years removed from the hobby. I used to detect with an Old Whites Eagle II and early Spectrum back when I was like 18-21 years old (occasionally used and old Garrett as well that my step-dad had) but my main unit was the Eagle II that has found me most of all my loot ... though the Garrett found me my oldest stuff by far when I used it).

I am now looking to get back into the hobby and want to stay in the $500 Odd Dollar range (give or take a hundred bucks or so) .... just can't justify spending 1K+ on a detector right now ... but I still don't want to spend $2-300 on a lower end detector and wish I would have got something better you know.

So the $500-600 range detector has some descent offerings and I will be getting something in that price category to start (I'll maybe jump to the $1K plus minelabs etc. if I spend a lot of time in the hobby again and can justify it, but for now it's got be a middle ground starting point).

So I have done some preliminary research and I will try to add all the metal detectors that are quality and well known and fall in this range and I would Love to get some feedback on your thoughts.

I will start by saying I am about 90% sold thus far on the Garrett AT Pro Spring Package ... it seems to be the most solid and well loved detector in this price range and has SO many reviews and videos and how too's to help out a new user ... I think overall I would do better and can learn more from that unit based on all the help I can receive online ... and the reviews are nothing short of stellar from what I can tell (give or take the random few bad ones, but that seems to about 1 in every 10 from what I have seen). I know they all have there pros and cons but this ATP seems to be the overall winner from what I can tell and the full 100% starter kit I can get from KellyCo that comes with the AT Pro, second 8x5 coil, both coil covers, Garrett Master Sound Headphones, Vulcan 360 pinpointer, detector carrying bag, Gator digger with sheath, diggers pouch, hat and a handful of other goodies as well ... All For $700 EVEN shipped to my door!!! Garrett AT Pro Sports Pack Spring Special Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

So I need to take that into account as well that this ATP kit from KellyCo gets me out with Everything I need to start searching and digging for seven hundred bucks! :laughing7:

This though is the one that got me thinking and wanting to know more ... I like Whites a lot and would like to know the Pros & Cons more then anything between the Garrett AT Pro and this Whites MX5 ....
White's MX5 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

Details About Me, Where I Live and What I Like To Hunt: :tongue3:

I live in California, Soil is hit and miss depending on where you are at, and hard dirt most often do to our massive drought and hot weather most of the time here in the San Joaquin Valley.
I will be a 90% Coin hunter ... I live for old coins and want to find those more then anything else by far ... hell I prefer an Old Coin over a gold ring really.
I want to find gold and rings etc. of course and a Token is Awesome to find as well ... Love the old history of things like Coins & Tokens over anything else.
I am not a huge relic hunter but of course there is not much history where I live for the most part so that's not super needed in a detector.
I will probably never beach hunt so that is not needed at all really.
Having a very light detector is key as I have a Very Bad back (I am hoping I can actually take up this hobby again due to that).
Not sure what else you may or may not need to know for a better idea of what I like to hunt and where.

So here are the ones that I have seen, read about, looked over threads here, and would consider potentially that are in this price range: :wav:

1. Garrett AT Pro (winning so far for me)
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

2. Whites MX5 (Fan of whites and has good features, how does this compare to the ATP?)
White's MX5 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

The above two are top of my list but I would like to know about these others as well ...................

3. Minelab X-Terra 505
Minelab X-Terra 505 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors
or
. Minelab X-Terra 705 (bit out of price range though)
Minelab X-Terra 705 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

4. Fisher F70
Fisher F70 DD Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

5. Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Omega 8000 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors
or
. Teknetics Gamma 6000 (I would prefer the Omega 8000 though)
Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

I know this is a wide range of detectors, I'm just trying to cover what is all available in this nice sweet spot entry point price range is all.

I do prefer a screen with details on what it finds etc. ... I am a visual person along with reading tones and want something with a nice comprehensive and info filled screen if possible (I know the more expensive ones are what I want if I like that but once again gotta stay in the price range). I know I read the Tesoro Vaquero is a solid machine but lack of screen is not my cup of tea and not something I would consider.

So I would love to hear all your thoughts on the detectors I have listed above in helping me decide what to get (and comment mostly on your thoughts of the Garret and Whites cause those are the two in the main running with the ATP being the front-runner really). Like I said It's gonna take something massive for me not to get the AT Pro anyway based on Everything I have read and how perfect that machine is just by itself, and not to mention the price, and also the package deal I can get .... it will be a hard one to beat ... but still good to know about other machines as well.

Thanks so much and I look forward to all your replies. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do appreciate the info on your experience and what you dealt with ... bummer to hear that you had a rough time with your ATP within a few months after getting it.

Not to sure about the depth things or recovery times ... I would think maybe a little more time with the unit may yield some better results ... I hope to to be able to get the most out of mine.

I have to totally disagree with you when it comes to the "price" portion of the AT Rp vs. the recommended Teknetics T2

I can get the AT Pro with the the extra 5x8 coil and both covers, headphones, Pro-pointer, Lesche digger, detector bag, camo pouch and hat to top it all off for $738 shipped!!!

The T2 SE runs $900 (can be had for about $850 though) and that doesn't include anything else like the 100 dollar pro pointer, good digger etc. .... I had a quote done on a few machines and this was one of them cause I do believe you that it is a great machine and many have said that but it would cost me just over $1k for this unit and the couple extras!

Almost a $300 difference for me between the ATP and T2 SE .... so they are not comparable in price whatsoever ... if I was going to spend 1K on a rig I would 100% be going with a Minelab before the Teknetics ... I want a Safari but just not in price range unfortunately and neither is the T2 SE.

But I do agree that maybe waiting is possibly worth it but I am new back into the hobby (been over 15 years) and I can't justify in any way spending over $1,000 on a new set-up .... maybe if I detect as much as I hope I will I will look at upgrading at a later time to a Minelab since thats the one I want more then anything.

Just to many people have told me that this thing is a crazy solid unit for my price point and I hope I have a little better luck with mine if and when I do decide to get one.

Thanks though for your feedback as any and all thoughts are always welcome! :)
BH =Bounty Hunter . I understand your price thing . I guess I look at detector prices like this : under $500, 500-1000 and 1000-2000 for the average person. And for the $500-1000 range I love the Teknetics T2 . I routinely see this particular machine kick my ATP's but. They simply find stuff the ATP misses. So that's why I wished I'd saved my milk money for a few more months and got one. As for 1 in 10 going in for repairs I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that . But only my opinion and after all it's your money have fun !FYI if I were to go to the $1000-2000 range I'd get the Deus ; seen them in action ...very sweet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya I have watched a few videos on that Deus .... INSANE! (equally insane price as well).

Do you actually have the T2 SE? You said you wish you'd saved more money and got one ... I assumed you owned one in comparing the two the way you did. (or you have just seen others do well with the T2 and you have not done as well with the ATP?)

I wanted to stay in the $500 range .... remember I am basically new to this, who knows I may not be able to go as much as I'd like due to my bad back etc. and going back into a hobby like this I can in no way shape or form justify spending over $1,000 on a new machine set-up .... to be honest the $738 is making me hurt but with ALL I get for that price it's So Dang Hard to pass it up ... at least with that deal I get all the other great stuff I can use with any other future detector (the Pro-pointer, digger, pocuh, bag, etc.) ... and If I find I detect like a mad man I can upgrade at a later time and still recoup 90% of my money back out of this AT Pro I'm sure seeing as how popular it is (I take VERY Good Care of my stuff and if I ever sell it for something different it will be in amazingly excellent condition and yield great resale value).

That T2 SE looks killer but like I said to be honest I want a Minelab ... I have seen em in action and they are the coin hunters Go To Rig .... plus my step-dad and a couple of his hunting buddies swear by them ... I've seen his an dig the hell out of it. If I spent $1K plus on anything it would be the Safari hands down (thats the I want but like I said can't justify the almost double the cost price from the ATP) ... but I do agree after a bunch of research that Teknetics T2 is a killer machine ... in fact a local guy I know here had the minelab E-trac and didn't detect as much lately and couldn't justify the cost so he sold it (he didn't want to but it was just a cost thing really, who wouldn't want an E-Trac) and went with the T2 ... haven't got the scoop on it from him but he does like it and I have no doubt he will have great things to say about it as well!

Thanks again for your feedback and advice .... no advice is bad advice most of the time .... but everything is subjective as I can read hundreds of other reviews that go against the things you say as well so who really knows you know ... it all comes down to what we want to spend I guess and I think how much time we take to become one with the rig we own and take that time to unlock it's maximum potential ... I sure hope to make the most out of mine. :)

Thanks again :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone else have any feedback on the AT Pro or ther machines listed?

Not many MX5 user out there huh?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not many MX5 user out there huh?

I think your best bet might be looking on YouTube, I'm sure there are alot of people out there using them.

Good Luck man, Hope you get out there swinging soon!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot is going to depend on exactly what you want to accomplish and how dedicated you are to what you're doing.
Personally I love my ATP because I cover a lot of territory that includes water land soil... clay often all in one day. I also like to travel light and if I could only have one machine that would be the one

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya it seems like an all around great versatile machine that's for sure.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts and feedback ... it's great forums and guys like this that help out so much and make preparing and researching things so easy.

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I still hunt with my spectrum that is a couple models after the eagle you mentioned. I haven't found anyone hunting with me that convinced me I needed a better machine. I have had it for close to twenty years and still learning to tweet it and get better. Love a whites. My friend just bought the at pro so I will go up against it this weekend. I will let you know the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's one thing I never quite bought into.. There's way too many variables including a person's personal talent and experience.. To walk into an area and somehow put one machine up against another.
This is just an analogy but I often outfish people in yachts with my little 18 foot boat.. Does that make my boat better?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I like mine. So much in fact I stopped using both my Whites Vx3 & MXT Pro and traded em off. It's great machine and will do 99% that any other VLF will do. All for one half to one third the price.

I bought mine pretty much out of "necessity". It was so wet and rainy last spring around here I felt I needed something waterproof. At first I wasn't all too impressed. I didn't care for the balance and the somewhat cheaper build left me wanting. I did take a chance on a 5x8 coil and that made a world of difference.
Balance improved 10 fold, target seperation improved, target ID within its range improved, audio signals became clearer with MINIMAL depth loss.

It really came alive. It would do everything any of my other detectors ever did plus it was simple, cheap and waterproof. I know some bag on it for "only" being waterproof to 10' but around here we don't get rain falls of magnitude. So for me to wade in rivers,stream and lakes, it's fine! But I really bought it so I could go out in the rain.

Loves nickels. Maybe not as much as my CZ but it finds a lot of em compared to all the other detectors I've had.

Overall it's a great coin machine. Depth is good too. Best I've done is a true 8" silver dime in hard moderatly difficult ground and 9-10" on easy ground for copper pennies all with the small coil (which never comes off). These coins at these depth sound great. Not iffy signals!

I like my ATP. I always recommend it.

Are there deeper machines? Sure! Some better in iron? I have no doubt! Ones that have better/more stable ID? Im sure! Can be submerged deeper. YEP! Do all that the ATP can do for a like price. No! Twice the price? Doubtful! Three times the price? I dunno whats a 3030 cost? 2500? Then no!

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
GatorBoy said:
that's one thing I never quite bought into.. There's way too many variables including a person's personal talent and experience.. To walk into an area and somehow put one machine up against another. This is just an analogy but I often outfish people in yachts with my little 18 foot boat.. Does that make my boat better?
I see your point but if I have a faint signal that your machine doesn't know is there or visa versa that absolutely is comparing one against the other. It is dirt fishing but not the same as water. Lol.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got you man... but overall the percentage of time that actually happens is pretty small.
One thing I totally believe is the machine you spend the most time with will be the one you're most successful with. Happy hunting everyone

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a solid 6 inches under highly mineralized black mud that was under two feet of saltwater with my AT.

attachment-6-1.png

attachment-5.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These little guys in the wet sand on the ocean beach.. I know a lot of people question its capabilities in salt.

ForumRunner_20140404_150024.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there deeper machines? Sure! Some better in iron? I have no doubt! Ones that have better/more stable ID? Im sure! Can be submerged deeper. YEP! Do all that the ATP can do for a like price. No! Twice the price? Doubtful! Three times the price? I dunno whats a 3030 cost? 2500? Then no!

This is exactly where I stand ... I have a certain price point getting back into this hobby ... and from what I have seen, read, reviewed and researched NOTHING touches this AT Pro for like you said a like price! I know I get "Go with the T2 SE" ... well thats a few hundred more, "If you coin shoot then the minelab is the way to go" .... those are over a $1,000 bucks plus extras, "You will get deeper targets with a better machine" .... I would think so if its 500 to 1000 bucks more for those machines! but it's not in my price range getting back into this hobby. Non one says "THIS (meaning a different machine then the ATP) is way better and is the same exact price and should be considered" .... I know the expensive are better ..... if they weren't then why do they cost so much" .... they are not in my budget to restart this hobby.

Just WAY to many pluses and great reviews about this thing to think anything comes close in the Same Exact Price Point! I love hearing about others but if they cost hundreds and hundreds more I like knowing and hearing about them so if a year from now I am detecting like crazy then maybe I might consider an upgrade ... and as well as I take care of my things this ATP will be like new hopefully and I can get max value out of it and it will still be in high demand at the time with all the extra accessories I will have for it if that time ever comes.

I kinda created this thread to get a comparison for a rig in "My Price Point" and gave a few options in the OP, but no one has really commented on any of those rigs at all ... that tells me Nothing compares to the AT Pro in "That" price point .... which makes my decision easy.

The only thing I was tossing around for the most part was the Whites MX5 ... but no one seems to use that much or has commented on that so I take it I would be better suited with the ATP overall. (I love whites as that was mainly all I used 15 years ago, that's why I was curious about that one machine and if it was something that rivaled the ATP in that Same price point).

One thing I totally believe is the machine you spend the most time with will be the one you're most successful with. Happy hunting everyone

This is what IT ALL Boils Down To .... I see guys say "I know my machine, I have spent 11-12 hours with it so far" :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: .... Ya that's a normal guys day or two day trip ... you need 10 times that much time to break the surface of a rig I would think .... even took me a long time to get comfortable with my Whites Eagle II 15 years ago ... I could imagine how much more technology and new features these newer units have that need to be learned.

I believe the guys that becomes one with his rig and knows it 100% can EASILY roll over a guy with a unit that costs twice as much and said to be the cats meow and has spent considerably less time learning what he has!

I hope to be able to have this advantage one day ... I will be a One Detector Guy ... so I will not have anything to compare it to and can concentrate on knowing all it's ins and outs and be a force with my lower end priced detector! :)

Last edited:

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Here is one thing I forgot to mention falcon man. My friend is a whites dealer so this might only apply to dealers but whites does sale refurbished machines that have been completely gone thru and work and look brand new at much better prices of the same new. Might be an option for you to look into.

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that info bro ... I prefer a bit of a warranty though and new if at all possible.

But that is some great information to know thanks so much. :)

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest going to the brand specific forum here, the Whites forum has alot of peeps swinging the MX5 it seems.

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Pretty sure there is warranty on the used stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread