At what point do you decide your park isnt old enough to give up silver?

mightyzep

Dec 5, 2007
At what point do you decide your park isn't old enough to give up silver?

Today was my second day hunting at a middle school near my house. Almost everything in my area was built in the 50s and 60s. So I don't find much silver. Today I decided to see how much I could find in 1 hour. I set a target of $3 because I have never found more than $4 in one day. I set my alarm on my phone and started to hunt. I have a Garrett Ace 250. I set it to only pick up dimes, quarters, halves and silver dollars. I have never found a half or a big silver dollar, so I was basically looking for dimes and quarters. Every once in a while I turn on the gold and the nickels...and on those days I dig a lot of pull tabs and trash and never found any gold. My dime setting once in a while finds pre-82 pennies. When my timer rang I pulled my coins out of my pocket. I had found 9 quarters, 7 dimes and 5 pennies, exactly $3!

Although it was fun, I thought just one silver dime would about equal the value in the clad I found in an hour. So how many coins do you dig out of one spot before you are convinced that there is no silver there? There other thing is, I get a lot of ghost rings, where it beeps once but when you go over that spot you can't get it to ring again. Also I think the Garrett Ace 250 just doesn't go that deep, maybe we are getting to the point that the silver is just deeper than I can get with this detector?

Upvote 0

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: At what point do you decide your park isn't old enough to give up silver?

deano said:
One thing to think about, it doesn't matter how old the park is, the ground has been there forever. You never know what happened there before it was made a park.

Very true...I found a 1690s Spanish Cob in a park that was established in 1895.

NJ

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: At what point do you decide your park isn't old enough to give up silver?

You have Ace 250 DING disease. If you are listening to and only digging those guaranteed coin dings you are missing the good stuff. Silver will show up under those coin tones but not always the way a clad quarter will. The first bit of advice I would give you is to buy a sniper coil for the 250. Its tiny, but deadly accurate with pin pointing. It will FORCE you to slow down. It will also help you identify 2 targets that are very close to each other instead of getting a funny signal with a larger coil. Very often my silver coin finds have been with other coins or near other targets. The ace 250 will not identify different targets the way a higher end machine will. When I swing a higher end machine over multiple targets I will get different sounds depending on the direction i swing from. The ace 250 will usually give you a cluttered reading, like hopping from penny to pull tab. You might be passing those up due to it hopping and it might be a silver dime next to a pull tab or a penny.

Slow down, put it in all but iron mode, and dig the solid tones first. With a sniper coil. Then when you go back dig the bouncing tones. Your finds will increase in quality but you will do more digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread