ATP GROUND BALANCE ISSUE

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
received the replacement unit yesterday after i spoke with garrett reps and told them about the problems i had with the ATP i bought a month ago.
for history the problem was the ground balancing, no way to quet the machine during auto or manual ground balancing so garrett raplaced the hole machine.

now more or less i have the same problem with the new.
i have no glue what else to do because i have tried everything.
the only thing can cause this issue is the coil connector that there is no way to full insert it.
have a look on the video below and the picture of connector. 2013-07-24 10.24.32.jpg
[video]http://s732.photobucket.com/user/maliaros/media/ATPGROUNDBALANCING.mp4.html[/video]

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like its in most the screw should pull it in I think it looks like that cuz of oring so by screwing the nut in should like I said pull it in rest of the way. Have u tried to running the cable from the coil straight up about a foot then start to wrap it clockwise.is this issue happening in one spot or numerous places

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett didn't allow people with normal fingers to screw in the plug. Grab a needle nose pliers and grab the plug in front of the nut and push the fitting on to the hole being careful that the small O ring gets inserted in the fitting all the way. Screw down the plug finger tight and you should be all set. This is what I had to do to get the headphone and the coil connected. It might take a few cuss words to get it right....If needed I can send you a PM with the right words..:laughing7:

I just remembered, I added a tiny dab of silicone grease (divers Grease) to the O ring for easier insertion. DON"T USE petroleum jelly or Vaseline.

Good luck,
Sandman

Last edited:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hardware store will have the silicone grease; it is used for faucets and cost a buck or two for a small container which should last your lifetime.

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me a while to get the coil connected.. that's one thing Garrett needs to fix with the At pro... make it more user friendly when it comes to inserting coil into box lol

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add to some of what others have said is 1st put some vaseline on the o-ring, line it up and push it in. Then I take a very small channel-lok plier I have and gently tighten until it won't tighten anymore. Don't put to much torque on it. You know when it is tight. The 1st time I put my cable in it was tight and after about a week I got no readings and was really upset and thought I had screwed up when buying the ATP. then I noticed it had come unscrewed and I right away lubed the o-ring and inserted the cable and gently tighten it with my small plier. Remember this is a waterproof unit so the coil connector must be screwed all the way in.

Once you do it you will be t-eed off that you didn't get it right the 1st time.

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
Just to add to some of what others have said is 1st put some vaseline on the o-ring, line it up and push it in. Then I take a very small channel-lok plier I have and gently tighten until it won't tighten anymore. Don't put to much torque on it. You know when it is tight. The 1st time I put my cable in it was tight and after about a week I got no readings and was really upset and thought I had screwed up when buying the ATP. then I noticed it had come unscrewed and I right away lubed the o-ring and inserted the cable and gently tighten it with my small plier. Remember this is a waterproof unit so the coil connector must be screwed all the way in.

Wow, I just got mine last week, and the first pain for me was getting those damn connectors screwed in,,, I suggested magnetic mount terminals,,My deep fryer has this,, so simple and it would be waterproof.. Haven't seen any ground balance issues on mine. and my connectors wouldn't go all the way in by pushing, I had to screw tight to suck them in......

o

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett didn't allow people with normal fingers to screw in the plug. Grab a needle nose pliers and grab the plug in front of the nut and push the fitting on to the hole being careful that the small O ring gets inserted in the fitting all the way. Screw down the plug finger tight and you should be all set. This is what I had to do to get the headphone and the coil connected. It might take a few cuss words to get it right....If needed I can send you a PM with the right words..:laughing7:

I just remembered, I added a tiny dab of silicone grease (divers Grease) to the O ring for easier insertion. DON"T USE petroleum jelly or Vaseline.

Good luck,
Sandman

Yeppers, no way your plug should be out like that picture above. You will actually >for lack of a better term< POP, that coil cable into the receptacle before you even get close to having a chance to tighten the lock down nut/screw. Its a supper tight seal to make it water proof to 10 feet ....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What part of "Don't use Petroleum Jelly or Vaseline" didn't you understand?????? Vaseline will eat the Rubber of the O ring.

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
the photo is taken after unscrewing the nut so i believe that the connector can't go more inside and i don't know if this can effect the performance and cause the GB problems.
i always put silicon grease and i have tried several spots in different beaches with the same result.
at all those beaches i was detecting my ace350 with no problems even in wet sand.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ur having that issue using it at the beach is it quite on dry land? If ya then when ur on the beach lower ur sensitivity sometimes mines at 3-4 pending on beach some r different

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
thank you all for your replies!!!!!!
i can only GB the machine in neutral soils that can quiet in 90s and 80s range.
i have lowered the sens in 4-3 even 2 bars with the same result as shown on the video.
i can't even thing possibility that the 2nd ATP might be also faulty.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying its simple but just line up the connecter pins once that's done grab the cable part and push till it slides in with some effort. Once you get it in most of the way screwing the tightening ring should pull the connector flush. Another thing to do as I think someone mentioned is to not start winding your coil cable around the shaft until a foot up the shaft and lock it in place with a zip tie. It stops false signals, bad ground balancing and increases depth . I've done it with 3 Garretts and was pleased with the increase in performance and cleanup of falsing and chatter...good luck

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i have spent all afternoon to fit the connector the best i can and to set the coil cable.
then i went again to the beach to do the test and unfortunately i had the same results.
the thing i notice is that if i manually set the GB in low number and then auto GB in a spot that requires a high number to get quiet the auto GB works fine.
the auto GB works fine in 70s-80s-90s range if these numbers are needed.
Please view the pictures.
IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3318.JPG

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Man, Im sorry to hear you are having issues...Its weird because my connector seem to go on failry easy..the only issue I had at first was taking the batteries out. I can tell you that Garrett is good about standing by its machine..I have had them send me extra arm cuffs when I snapped mine, and they even follwed up 6 months later asking if i had any issues....I never zip tied my machine in that manner...couldnt you just spin it around to make it tight?

Good luck with your machine...Wish you many finds!

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Tomorrow I will return my second ATP to the dealer within a Month and let Garrett figure whats the problem.
Since they replace the detectors with ease I will return and return and return until they are sick of me.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I may have spotted your problem!
While watching your video on the beach I noticed you are right at the surf line. I see the surf coming up to you and almost touching your feet. From what I have read and watched this is one of the worst spots to use your ATPro, right at the current tide line. Either get into the water a bit, or get closer to dry sand. The tide/ waves coming in do not stop where you see them on the surface, they travel under the sand where you are standing at in that video. Making it one of the hardest spots to ground balance your machine since the ground density is constantly changing under you at the spot.

PS, you may want to also remove that bottom tie strap on your coil wire.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I may have spotted your problem!
While watching your video on the beach I noticed you are right at the surf line. I see the surf coming up to you and almost touching your feet. From what I have read and watched this is one of the worst spots to use your ATPro, right at the current tide line. Either get into the water a bit, or get closer to dry sand. The tide/ waves coming in do not stop where you see them on the surface, they travel under the sand where you are standing at in that video. Making it one of the hardest spots to ground balance your machine since the ground density is constantly changing under you at the spot.

See this is what I was thinking as well mayb its not the detector but where its being used cuz I thought it was said its fine on land but go to the beach & to that spot runs erraticly. The pro can b used in water salt but sensitivity has to b adjusted low & a manual gb

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you are trying to use the AT PRO in the surf line where the salt water hits the sand you are going to have trouble with any single frequency detector. You will run into black sand with the saltwater too.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandiest of man is correct

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread