OntarioArch Sr. Member Joined Nov 26, 2017 Messages 427 Reaction score 1,172 Golden Thread 0 Location Cayuga County NY Primary Interest: Relic Hunting Feb 16, 2019 #1 Do auction houses enhance the 'polish' of some of their hardstone artifacts? These pestles sure do shine. Upvote 0
Do auction houses enhance the 'polish' of some of their hardstone artifacts? These pestles sure do shine.
joshuaream Silver Member Joined Jun 25, 2009 Messages 3,174 Reaction score 4,547 Golden Thread 0 Location Florida & Hong Kong Feb 16, 2019 #2 Yes, some do. Usually a little bit of mineral oil or something like that.
newnan man Gold Member 🥇 Charter Member Joined Aug 8, 2005 Messages 8,907 Reaction score 36,458 Golden Thread 0 Location Beautiful Florida Primary Interest: Relic Hunting Feb 16, 2019 #3 Here in Florida many points get dried out & chalky looking. People soak them in mineral oil and they get the old shine back.
Here in Florida many points get dried out & chalky looking. People soak them in mineral oil and they get the old shine back.
OntarioArch Sr. Member Joined Nov 26, 2017 Messages 427 Reaction score 1,172 Golden Thread 0 Location Cayuga County NY Primary Interest: Relic Hunting Feb 16, 2019 Thread Owner #4 Interesting. But I think I'll keep mine as they are for now....kinda dull, weathered. I gotta say, I do like that polished look. Maybe I'll experiment with one lowly piece....
Interesting. But I think I'll keep mine as they are for now....kinda dull, weathered. I gotta say, I do like that polished look. Maybe I'll experiment with one lowly piece....
J Jon Stewart Bronze Member Joined Jan 11, 2011 Messages 1,039 Reaction score 947 Golden Thread 0 Feb 16, 2019 #5 If get a small hinge in a point when I knap one and I melt bees wax on it and buff it out. Covers a lot of sins,lol
If get a small hinge in a point when I knap one and I melt bees wax on it and buff it out. Covers a lot of sins,lol
quito Silver Member Joined Mar 31, 2008 Messages 4,638 Reaction score 4,844 Golden Thread 0 Location south dakota Detector(s) used good eyes Feb 16, 2019 #6 Jon Stewart said: If get a small hinge in a point when I knap one and I melt bees wax on it and buff it out. Covers a lot of sins,lol Click to expand... Lol! I have lots of beeswax Jon if you ever have a big problem!
Jon Stewart said: If get a small hinge in a point when I knap one and I melt bees wax on it and buff it out. Covers a lot of sins,lol Click to expand... Lol! I have lots of beeswax Jon if you ever have a big problem!
catherine1 Bronze Member Joined Jun 25, 2010 Messages 1,817 Reaction score 1,080 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Feb 17, 2019 #7 I know a guy who used muratic acid to clean the mineralization off his artifacts...…...