What's new

August 4, 2012: Sterling Swastika hat pin???

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Went back to a local park today that's yielded some decent things. I spoke with a town resident, and apparently another guy who has been detecting this park has found some good stuff. BOOOO, but didn't stop me from picking up his scraps.

Within 5 minutes a 1914 Barber dime pops out. And 30 seconds later, the 1945 Wartime nickel! Also got a 1925 buffalo nickel and a 1927 Canadian nickel in the same hole. My goodness what a difference in preservation. Canada, tell us our secrets to long-living coins!

Sometime in the hunt I got an odd signal. This certainly wasn't a signal that screamed "dig me." It kind of sounded like some kind of junk sheet metal. Since it was repeatable I dug anyway. Upon getting it out I was swiping around the dirt with my hand and got poked with something. "oh my, glass in there, better be careful" Then I saw the tip - "oh, I got poked by an aluminum nail, let's get that baby out of here... what the heck?" It's a swastika piece that's marked Sterling on the back. Is this a hat pin? Measures 2.75" long. Would this be pre-Hitler, and it means good luck? Pretty cool find!

Also picked up 3 IHCs - 1863, 1907, 1883?
 

Attachments

  • Aug 4, 2012 (4).webp
    Aug 4, 2012 (4).webp
    91.2 KB · Views: 532
  • Aug 4, 2012 (3).webp
    Aug 4, 2012 (3).webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 886
  • Aug 4, 2012 (1).webp
    Aug 4, 2012 (1).webp
    105.2 KB · Views: 393
  • Aug 4, 2012.webp
    Aug 4, 2012.webp
    133.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Very nice finds. Nice variety. The pin is pretty cool.
 
I would imagine that the stick pin is pre-Hitler and was a good luck hat or lapel pin. probably 1910's. awesome find! :icon_thumleft:
 
That was my next question, how old? A little research GOGGLE! Great job/neat!
 
That's a really cool find!
 
Cool finds and I too would say pre WWII and a lapel pin for good luck.jmho.....................HH
 
Love that pin
 
Thanks everyone! Will be one of my more favorite finds. Quite an odd feeling that this symbol went from such a cherished one, to one of the most hated. Gotta love the history this hobby unearths.
 
I don't know. Something about that pin says national socialist party to me. I looked it up and it was chosen as the party symbol way back in 1920. It took them a bit to come to power in Germany. Just something about how it's outlined and designed. Many German nationals immigrated to America after WWI.
 
I don't know. Something about that pin says national socialist party to me. I looked it up and it was chosen as the party symbol way back in 1920. It took them a bit to come to power in Germany. Just something about how it's outlined and designed. Many German nationals immigrated to America after WWI.

Someone else couldn't quite pinpoint it, but thought it seemed kind of socialist too. He thought the maybe the orientation was more Nazi-ish than good luck. Since it is stamped "sterling" would that make it more of made in America? So that's one thing that might make it more of the "good luck" version.
 
Third Reich Stickpins and Lapel Insignia

Take a look here. What you may have could be a stickpin that was worn on Lapels and not a hat pin. There are several similar ones to the one you uncovered. It could have been made in America for a Nazi sympathizer, or anywhere for that matter. When the war started for Germany (not for us) young German men did return to Germany to fight for them as soldiers. Some were born in America and didn't even speak German.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom