What's new

Awesome heartbreakers tonight!

hbrown22

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
385
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
We've had heavy rain most of the day and I knew we had to go check our hot spot for run off. We hunted for two hours and it was one artifact after another. They are all broken (plow damage), but we didn't care. This area is above the creek on a hill (not a mound). Everywhere you look there are flakes and it's been like this for years. We never walk away empty handed. I'm starting to wonder if it is a settlement and not a temporary hunting area. Anyway, I've included an in situ pic of the base I found. I started to pull it out then realized it was something so I pushed it back in. Normally I don't think about grabbing the camera, lol :) The first two rows I believe are actual artifacts, everything underneath are flakes/chips/pretty colored chert/etc... If you know what something is, please let me know. If you need better pix, I'll post them. Thanks!!

Before After
photo (1).webp IMG_8959.webp

In-situ of base cleaned, measures 1 1/2" across
photo.webp IMG_8973.webp IMG_8974.webp

The three big pieces on first row (L to R # 1,2, & 3)
IMG_8962.webp IMG_8963.webp

#1-a knife? Broken, rounded tip is worked. 3" x 2 3/4", approx. 1/2" thick
IMG_8965.webp IMG_8966.webp

#2-don't know if this had a sharp tip or rounded, it's broke on both ends. 2" long, 2" wide, 1/4" thick (sorry pic is blurry)
IMG_8967.webp IMG_8968.webp

#3-looks worked on one side, smooth on the other. Also concave side profile. Broken, maybe this is nothing? 2 1/2" x 1 1/2", 5/8" thick
IMG_8969.webp IMG_8970.webp

The rest of the stuff from top two rows

IMG_8972.webp

#4-top left. Assuming this is the bottom half of something, worked both sides. 1 3/4" x 1 1/4", 3/8" thick

IMG_8976.webp IMG_8975.webp

#5-top middle. Broken point, worked both sides. 1 5/8" x 1 1/4", 1/4" thick

IMG_8978.webp IMG_8977.webp

#6-top right. broken, end is rounded. 1 3/4" x 1", 1/4" thick
IMG_8981.webp IMG_8980.webp

#7-middle row left. pretty but broken point, 1 3/8" x 1", 3/16" thick (sorry for the blur)
IMG_8983.webp IMG_8983.webp

#8-middle row, middle. don't know what this was, but has secondary work along the edges.
IMG_8984.webp

#9-middle row, right. Think this was a point but the material was weak? the one side is worked nice. 1 1/2" x 3/4"
IMG_8992.webp IMG_8993.webp IMG_8994.webp

#10-bottom left. Base of something? looks worked on both sides.7/8" x 1 1/4", 1/4" thick
IMG_8990.webp IMG_8988.webp

#11-bottom middle. another piece of something! rounded on the one end. 1 1/2" x 1 1/4", 3/8" thick
IMG_8987.webp

#12-bottom right. The base of something?
IMG_8991.webp
 
Upvote 0
It is just a matter of time before a nice one comes out. The stuff looks woodland to me. Everything worked as well. Is the last one worked all the way around? Might be a thumb scraper.
 
That looks just like the same types I was finding over the winter of last yr. Looks like you are in the rite spot. Even the flint is the same type. Congrats, HH rock
 
I think we stumbled upon an ancient sweat shop :) Since the major floods we had in 2010, any decent rain washes artifacts up. The run-off from the corn field to the road is littered with flakes, the small translucent ones. We found out who owned the corn field so we are gonna ask permission to hunt it. I think we are gonna find something nice soon, today is gonna be the day :) The stuff we found yesterday was still exciting to find. It's what keeps us going. It was almost like kids running after candy being thrown from a parade float. There was so much stuff we just starting picking it up and looking at it later.
 
That's a bunch nice pieces -looks like you're on them- Something real real nice is bound to be hidden around there somewhere.
 
You are in a very good spot , don't give up:thumbsup:You will reach down for a broke point and it will be a whole one:occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom