What's new

Awesome score!! My best find yet?? I need some advice.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
1,620
Reaction score
1,886
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

I was at a bank that only had loosies last week. When I was buying the halves, the teller asked if I was a collector, to which, I replied "Yes". She then pulled out a baggie with a bunch of the rejects from the coin counter/sorter, and said that there's a bunch of foreign stuff and junk in here and asked me if I wanted it. I said sure, I love the foreign coins and junk. She said that I could have it, and she'd have more soon. I thanked her profusely.

While going through it at home with my wife (it was a big baggie), we found the following:

At least $50.00 (very conservative guess) in damaged and good condition US coins
A LOT of foreign coins (we're still trying to figure some of them out for GMan's list)

IMG_0293.webp

My wife pulled out our second V nickel, a 1912, has a mintmark, but I can't yet tell if it's an S (I hope, I hope, I hope). She also found this little beauty, and it had 13 brothers to go with it.

IMG_0301.webp IMG_0300.webp

There were also a bunch or random watch batteries, tokens, and I found this clipped 1974 dime.

IMG_0302.webp

Then, I pulled out this quarter, which is either a wrong planchet error or counterfeit. I surely hope that it is a wrong planchet error, because it could be quite valuable. It only weighs 4.1 grams, is bronze in color underneath but is covered by a silver colored metal or paint that is wearing off. It is also slightly smaller in diameter than a regular quarter, and the reeding doesn’t line up right on one side, giving it a “zipper effect” on the one side. I took it to a coin dealer, who said that it looks good (i.e. not counterfeit). He confirmed that it isn’t a US coin planchet, but said that the US Mints make coins for several countries and that it could be one of their planchets. I can’t tell if the Mintmark is a P or D. I think P, but it could very well be D. He said that I should send it to ANA. What do you all think?

IMG_0291.webp
IMG_0290.webp

Oh, and yes, I will be taking some Godivas and donuts to that teller. Thanks for looking.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Upvote 0
Since it looks to be made out of brass I would say that it was a Chinese made counterfeit that was then either painted or plated. I would keep that one!!!
 
I thought about the counterfeit angle, but why would they counterfeit a common modern quarter? I can understand counterfeiting older, or rare coins, but I don't see why one would counterfeit quarter. The return just wouldn't seem worth it for a 1992 Washington quarter.

I've had problems with "counterfeit" common modern coins before.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,273340.0.html

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
why would they counterfeit a common modern quarter?

It costs the mint 7.3 cents to make a quarter. They could be counterfitted with a cheaper metal and made by Chinese slave labor for lets say 2 cents. so for every dollar the forger makes .92 cents.
 
I guess I should put more stock into the possibility that it could be a counterfeit. I was thinking from a logical point of view, while many criminals do not. Some counterfeit modern quarters showed up in the Northeast in 1999. They were copper blanks stamped and spray-painted and put into vending machines.

I was thinking that it's a risk vs. reward proposition, and that the risk would so greatly outweigh the reward that no one would bother. Where could one get rid of such poorly made counterfeits to make it worthwhile? I could see printing phony five dollar bills, but stamping quarters for a lousy soda? The input:output ratio just seems to high.

It definitely could be a fake, but I'm still hoping that it's a wrong planchet though.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Awesome is right !!! Great job !!!

I take all the "funny" money I can get. Recently received 12 dollars canadian to add to the pile. One teller where I pay a bill saves me all the funny looking stuff, which a while back contained 2 silver quarters, she don;t like anything that don;t look right in her tray. lol.
 
There was probably $35-$40 Canadian coins in that bag as well. I think I'll start saving them up and when I get enough, I'll take a trip to Canada. Maybe go with some of the others for a little CRHing. 8)

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
I have run across a local bank that exchanges foreign money. I have not looked into it yet, it is after all "Free Money". Oh, I did run across a canadian half-dime, that a dealer told me was worth about 50 bucks. No telling what you may find.

Congrats on that score !
 
Hey Kantuck, I would say you might have a great connection there. Some of my best gold finds have come from rejects. I would ask that teller if she could save the rejects for you regularly. I would get her some chocolates as a thank you. You will have her hook line and sinker.


Golden Silver
 
NaturalJWL,

Can you post a pic of the half-dime? I'd like to see that.

Mr. Silver,

I'll definitely be taking them some chocolates and donuts. Are the gold finds rings and such? You haven't found any gold coins have you?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
No Kantuck, The gold coin find has eluded me thus far. I have found several gold rings and ear rings. I have found several sterling silver items as well. Rejects can be a great place to find some of the goods and it seems like you have the perfect pick up there.

Golden Silver
 
I sure hope so, and I wish us all a gold coin find.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
I can't get the banks here to give up their junk. They all say they have to send it back to the coin courier.
 
Kantuck...is that a copper 1943 penny or does it just look that way in the pic. and there are 13 more?
i was looking at the pic of the pile. i see a Balboa, some Canadian, Mexican,....what is that one in the far left bottom? it looks like it says "American 20 dollars"? any you can't figure out post a pic and i will research it for you. i like looking up foreign coins.
 
Nice score there. Keep digging for the rejects. I make sure to fill up a bag every time I go to the coin machine and then ask them to check the internal reject bucket. No good finds yet, a few mutilated coins but I keep trying.
 
I find a lot of Euros in rejects as well. I am lucky to have a wife from Europe so we go there once or twice a year and spend all the Euros I have collected over the past year. I need it since the U.S dollar is dropping in value in comparison.

Golden Silver
 
Finding a Euro is an instant gain of 50%+. Never mind that.
 
If you need help with identifying any coins, just post pics (front and back preferred) and someone (possibly myself) will help with the ID.
 
GMan00001 said:
If you need help with identifying any coins, just post pics (front and back preferred) and someone (possibly myself) will help with the ID.

...........this site will also help you identify the foreign coin:

http://worldcoingallery.com/
 
Hi Y'all,

Mr. G,

I wish that the '43s were copper, but they're just zinc. The one is in VERY nice condition. I'd say AU. If they were copper, I'd be retiring. The 20 dollar coin is from Jamaica. There were several Jamaican coins in the mix.

AGCoinhunter,

Have you ever tried sending the mutilated coins to the Treasury Dept. for exchange? I'm keeping mine and I'm going to see about sending them off to be removed from circulation and hopefully they'll send me a check for the amount sent. I think I got about $50.00 or more in damaged/virtually unrecognizable US coins.

Mr. G, GMan, Thurm,

As for the foreign stuff, I've figured most of them out and added them to a post on page 4 of GMan's tracking list. The two that I can't figure out are pictured below. The one on the left is from Thailand (1 baht), but I haven't figured out the year. I'm pretty sure that the other one is from China, but I need to look into it. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0303.webp
IMG_0305.webp



Thanks a bunch and Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom