Axe Handle Beach Scoop

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OK, how about a 6 quart sand scoop with a 3 foot handle for $20.00. I made it for my TH'ing buddy, Graffix girl. She wanted smaller holes in the middle so she wouldn't lose earrings and chains and other small gold items. 7/16 inch holes are situated on outer edge to drain off sand. Didn't drill the back as that would have weaken the metal where handle is attached. Handle is a 3 foot long hickory axe handle. I could have used a hickory post hole digger handle to make a longer handle but I think GG will like it. Scoop is a galvanized 6 quart grain scoop found in feed stores, 2- 3/8" x 2 " bolts, lock nuts and fender washers, all stainless to resist corrosion. Could have used 1.5 inch bolts but this was first attempt and better too long than too short. Drilled a hole at the top of handle and inserted a piece of rope so GG can drag it or put a clip on it. May not last as long as my Big Brute but it'll pay for itself in short order especially in this economy. ;D

Attachments

• Key components.JPG
    Key components.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 641
  • Set drill holes with 16 penny nail.JPG
    Set drill holes with 16 penny nail.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 653
  • Hole pattern.JPG
    Hole pattern.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 645
  • Axe handle attached to scoop.JPG
    Axe handle attached to scoop.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 636
  • Finished scoop next to Big Brute.JPG
    Finished scoop next to Big Brute.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0
That's a weapon of two kinds. Good for diggin and a good for the undesirables.
I like it!

FL A,

That might be the best quickie home made sand scoop I've seen so far! :thumbsup:

I think you're gonna need more holes, but that's certainly no problem.

Good job!

rmptr

That is a marvel of backyard engineering. Good job. I think anybody would like it. :)

Graffix girl took delivery of the scoop and boy, she is happy. She can't wait to try it out on the beach. She tried it on some yard dirt and it dug a hole like a backhoe. She'll give us some feedback on how will it does and how durable it is. Good luck, GG. :wink: :icon_king:

You are right FLAuthor, cant wait to go dig a few treasure trenches on the beach.....and it definitely doubles as a giant shank for the undesireables. Great tot-lottin with ya yesterday too.
should be trying it out next weekend.
peace
GG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back