AZ trip 2022 great people and my Equinox 800

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a short report about my trip to AZ 2022.

I returned on Monday 21st March.

My friend Joe from CA picked me up at Las Vegas and we went to Stanton LDMA Camp, AZ. Just like last time in 2020 we had lots of wind but no rain this time. Unfortunately things happened and one wheel went to heaven and we were blocked to go out to the far in the desert claims. Met Terry C again we had a very good time. He arranged a hunt in between some old houses but unfortunately the area has been hunted thoroughly before. Again he invited us for Pizza at Gilligans – great place great Pizza great company with Joe and Terry. Great folks I have met here at Treasurenet some years ago.

My wish was to find some gold with my Metal Detector. I brought my Equinox 800 and my SDC2300. As I have some 500 hours or so on the Equinox I wanted to give this machine more of a chance.Trying to soak up any information I could I had a plan made how to attack the gold. Theory was to dig all targets in real life this was impossible as way too many hotrocks were present. If I could go out every week I might dig them all (but I live in Germany) if I can’t identify them as a hotrock laying on the surface. So the following setting worked very well justforme: Gold 2, Recovery speed at 6, Iron Bias 1+2 set to 0, ground tracking on (I was amazed that in different areas the ground balance would stay in the range between 1-3) blocking the number -10, -9 , -8 and + 11 + 12 +13 +14 using the small 6" coil.
I was able to run the sensitivity at 22 all the time.
Many targets showed a wide range of ID numbers. When a single digit positive number +1 or +2 or so showed up once or twice checking the target I switched to all metal mode to reconfirm and dug it.

This way I found a bunch of BBs and small lead screddings and 2 pieces VERY small pieces of gold specimen. Both together were reading at 0,03 grams. Both rang up with an ID of 1 loud and clear being so small. I just can’t believe it. If other machines will pick up gold smaller than that I would have to bring a microscope all the time. One thing to mention here….Gerry from Idaho recommended me the Nox 800 several years ago, explained the whole machine to me and when I made up my mind that I wanted it he told me that he cannot ship to Germany. He knew this from the beginning but put a lot of time in explaining me the machine. I am really thankful for this! Now just before I went on this trip I asked him if he would have a good advice on where to go in AZ. He did share some good infos with me and I found my 2 specimen exactly where he mentioned in a drywash tailings pile with the highway only a few yards away.

Those great folks I met here on Treasurenet made my trip unforgettable and also a little golden.

Attachments

• PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 8

Top Member Reactions