Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I discovered the site of a house that (based on the relics I found) existed in the 18th and early 19th centuries. The owner obviously was a man of means, as I found three silver cufflinks, an elaborate shoe buckle and coins from the 1700s. I was reasonably sure that I had found a house that is marked on the Mills' Atlas of 1825 belonging to W__ T____ (we'll call him WT), but I wasn't sure.

About a week ago I received a phone call from an elderly lady whom I did not know. She explained that WT was her great-great-great grandfather and that she had done a lot of genealogy research to about him. She had spoken with the owner of the land where I found the home site (a friend of hers) and he told her that I had located WT's house and suggested that she contact me. She was very excited to learn of my discovery and confirmed that I had indeed found the site of her ancestor's house. The fact that I found items like silver cufflinks (including one that was made from a 1762 half real coin) made sense, because WT was an attorney and a politician. She said that she and her cousins had searched for WT's grave with no luck, and she never dreamed that she would find out where he lived.

I shared some information with her and made arrangements to show her the site. Yesterday I met her, her daughter and another relative and took them there; the site is on the edge of a tiny field in the woods. Before walking to the site I showed them some of the relics that I had found there. I told her that I wanted her to have something that belonged to her ancestor and I gave her a silver cufflink and decorative dandy button

2016-07-07%2020_50_10.jpg 2016-07-07%2020_14_32.jpg

She was thrilled to receive them and thanked me profusely

3.jpg

So we walked to the site and I explained to them where I found the relics, and where the house would have been. I also explained how I found the site and that I knew where the structure was because of a concentration of square nails. They marked the area with flags so that they could come back to it later, then we took some photos; here is the lady, her daughter and yours truly

1.jpg

Call it instant karma maybe, but as I was standing at the site talking to the lady I looked down and right next to my foot was a complete arrowhead! I had never found a whole one in that field

2.jpg

This was a very rewarding experience for me for a couple of reasons. First, it felt good to help the lady connect to her past and to give her a couple of items that were worn by her ancestor; and second, it is cool to know who built and lived in the house and have some history for him. I metal detect because I am interested in the history, and in my book it doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited:
Upvote 50

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I discovered the site of a house that (based on the relics I found) existed in the 18th and early 19th centuries. The owner obviously was a man of means, as I found three silver cufflinks, an elaborate shoe buckle and coins from the 1700s. I was reasonably sure that I had found a house that is marked on the Mills' Atlas of 1825 belonging to W__ T____ (we'll call him WT), but I wasn't sure.

About a week ago I received a phone call from an elderly lady whom I did not know. She explained that WT was her great-great-great grandfather and that she had done a lot of genealogy research to about him. She had spoken with the owner of the land where I found the home site (a friend of hers) and he told her that I had located WT's house and suggested that she contact me. She was very excited to learn of my discovery and confirmed that I had indeed found the site of her ancestor's house. The fact that I found items like silver cufflinks (including one that was made from a 1762 half real coin) made sense, because WT was an attorney and a politician. She said that she and her cousins had searched for WT's grave with no luck, and she never dreamed that she would find out where he lived.

I shared some information with her and made arrangements to show her the site. Yesterday I met her, her daughter and another relative and took them there; the site is on the edge of a tiny field in the woods. Before walking to the site I showed them some of the relics that I had found there. I told her that I wanted her to have something that belonged to her ancestor and I gave her a silver cufflink and decorative dandy button

View attachment 1491310 View attachment 1491311

She was thrilled to receive them and thanked me profusely

View attachment 1491312

So we walked to the site and I explained to them where I found the relics, and where the house would have been. I also explained how I found the site and that I knew where the structure was because of a concentration of square nails. They marked the area with flags so that they could come back to it later, then we took some photos; here is the lady, her daughter and yours truly

View attachment 1491317

Call it instant karma maybe, but as I was standing at the site talking to the lady I looked down and right next to my foot was a complete arrowhead! I had never found a whole one in that field

View attachment 1491320

This was a very rewarding experience for me for a couple of reasons. First, it felt good to help the lady connect to her past and to give her a couple of items that were worn by her ancestor; and second, it is cool to know who built and lived in the house and have some history for him. I metal detect because I am interested in the history, and in my book it doesn't get any better than this.
Glenn this,by far is your best post beating relics hands down. When you can return something that old that you've found to a living relative is more than any BANNER in my book. Great story brother.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn this,by far is your best post beating relics hands down. When you can return something that old that you've found to a living relative is more than any BANNER in my book. Great story brother.

Thanks Allen

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN NICE BUTTON AND ARROW HEAD>>..

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done, the joy of helping them overwhelms the monetary value of the items you found. Such a great treasure

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all been spoken already but, I have to add some more KUDOS to you for doing the right thing. You are a walking blessing to these fine folks for sharing their own heritage with them and showing them where the old home was. Most appreciated the well written article and wonderful pictures. You sewed some kindness and consideration and reaped a nice arrowhead too. This IS how it's done!:icon_salut:

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the kind remarks

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paying it forward. This kindness will come back around to you with many new permissions, hopefully! Very cool. Sub 8-)

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck Man! That was rewarding for me too and all I did was click on it!
One of the top three posts all time that I have read on this site. I'm an old stone artifact hunter and I have no doubt that was gifted to you.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paying it forward. This kindness will come back around to you with many new permissions, hopefully! Very cool. Sub 8-)

Thanks; as a matter of fact I did get a couple of permissions from her daughter. I didn't do it for that reason but I'll take it

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS. Doesn't get much better than stuff like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread