Bad Luck Turned Good. Sharp 1734 one Real out of a Creek.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was finding things nothing really old this time in the old creek. Clad, a not that old knife (silverware type). Creek was high but knew old stuff was in it because I found a pewter spoon, a parasol handle the year prior. Town was certainly old enough for something 1700s. Center of creek was just too deep to detect tonight because the rain. So I walked up stream to a sand bar. Had the signal close to shore close to a silver dime but it sounded different. Pulled out pin pointer and it was dead. Changed battery. Still dead. Turned on but no matter what I did my shovel wouldn't set it off. So I only could pin point with my equinox. Dig out gravel and rocks, scan hole , repeat. Then this gray disk popped out. Was hopping for a barber dime because I only have one. But was surprised by a 1734 one real in really good condition. Was about 3 inches down in creek rocks and gravel. It's now my oldest coin. Ironically in the 15 months I've been detecting I just can't find 19th century silver. And yet this is my second one real in 3 months.

20210709_220232.jpg
20210709_220319.jpg

Better photo of details . Sadly not looking like rare 3 over 2 variety.
20210709_221405.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 33

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice surprise-I'd be smiling if I thought it was a dime and it turned to be a Real. Congrats
Hope you get the pin pointer sorted out.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all! Looking like since my Garrett pro pointer is only a year old it should be covered by warranty. Have to contact them. Have a back up but it's a little goofy sometimes. Been wandering almost inaccessible creeks the last week because it's been too hot for the open fields. Found this nice Bixby shoe polish bottle a few miles from the real. Must have washed out recently because it has no tumble. Seems to be 1885 + version. Last of this style for them.

Attachments

• 20210706_202510.jpg
    20210706_202510.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210706_202245.jpg
    20210706_202245.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking reale...congrats on that great creek find !!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It sounds like you may be on to something. I'd be checking the high ground just above the creek for iron. I usually dig a few iron samples to look for square nails. Some of my best virgin site were found that way.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the creek itself is loaded with square nails, iron chunks. Few old lead chunks, so far two sets of old iron hinges. One section out side of water on a slope is huntable. Unfortunately high ground above creek is mostly private property and not that old. Except one section... Creek was dug to power mid 1700s mill. Waiting until water goes down before I get back there.

Anyone know what this is? Lead. Friend found it last night with me in creek.

20210710_113205.jpg

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to imagine that coin's nearly 300 years old- amazing find!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A beautiful coin for sure! Sorry to hear about your pin pointer. Its hard imaging that we used to detect without them in the good ole days...

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes poor pinpointer allows you to cycle through sensitivity modes and into vibration modes. However, nothing metal sets it off anymore. All the targets before the real it was fine. The real was the one it decided to crap out on. Tried my backup yesterday replica Amazon job. It's pretty useless. Makes so much interference my detector goes crazy, beeps when you point it at the sky (picking up air planes obviously), when you put your hand over it. Ended up finding some more bottles where the shoe polish bottle came from. Looks like I've gotten two creeks to hunt a lot more now. Hopefully Garrett can fix it quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions