Bank cant sell me $50 bag of cents from coin counter?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Bank can't sell me $50 bag of cents from coin counter?

I walked in to First Merit, that has a coin counter, asked if I could buy a bag of cents, and they said they had one but policy says that the bag HAS to go off to Brinks. I said I wouldn't even take the bag with me. I'll dump it into my container and leave, but they still said that "policy" says they can't sell them. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Upvote 0

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find a bank or CU that will let me buy bags from their counters.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my banks won't do it either, it is company policy, though i do not bank with first merit.

the banks i asked were more then happy to just sell me coin boxes.
hh
buff

corey237

Dec 27, 2010
I have one bank that sells me their penny bags every Tuesday and usuaully get $200-$400 a week from them. Most banks though have some BS story about why they can't sell them to you which 90% of the time means they are just too lazy to deal with it. In my experience your smaller town Credit Unions and banks that are not huge corporate banks are far more willing give you what you want.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Often the problem lies not always in the fact that they are unwilling, it just simply can't be done except at certain times of the day or else the vault gets messed up because of the way different banks are set up to deal with the vault. Sometimes the bags are sitting in "no man's land" other times they are sold directly to the vault and other times they are directly sold to the account for the truck to pick up. Unless a manager that knows how to do it is there you aren't going to get a lot of people wanting to sell you bags simply because it has to be done in just the exact right way or else it messes up the balancing later in the day.

Even on banks where it is easy to buy/sell bags if someone complained they were short or complained about foreign coins in their bag before the tellers are simply going to say its a matter of policy they don't sell bags because it isn't worth the hassle.

If you buy bags, and they are short, simply accept it as a fact of life if you complain, chances are there goes your ability to buy bags.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yeah, I understand now. I wouldn't complain anyways because I know the banks can't do anything about it either way.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a bank or CU that will let me buy bags from their counters.
Same here.
Well except for one bank and there machine doesn't take halves and I dont want to get shorted returning dimes, don't want to roll them either.

Last edited:

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often the problem lies not always in the fact that they are unwilling, it just simply can't be done except at certain times of the day or else the vault gets messed up because of the way different banks are set up to deal with the vault. Sometimes the bags are sitting in "no man's land" other times they are sold directly to the vault and other times they are directly sold to the account for the truck to pick up. Unless a manager that knows how to do it is there you aren't going to get a lot of people wanting to sell you bags simply because it has to be done in just the exact right way or else it messes up the balancing later in the day.

Even on banks where it is easy to buy/sell bags if someone complained they were short or complained about foreign coins in their bag before the tellers are simply going to say its a matter of policy they don't sell bags because it isn't worth the hassle.

If you buy bags, and they are short, simply accept it as a fact of life if you complain, chances are there goes your ability to buy bags.

This comment mirrors my experience exactly. I told my banks early on that I accept responsibility for any shortages in a bag and I have no problems with the selling be bags under those conditions.

As to "no mans land" Once the bag has been pulled from the machine and is in their vault, it is simply vault cash. The vault teller only has to sell the bag to the teller and the teller sells it to me. No different than if I asked for 5K in 100's and they had to get them from the vault.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I buy bags from my new pickup bank no problem whatsoever

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread