Gaspipe
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Sep 6, 2013
- Messages
- 1,060
- Reaction score
- 1,246
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- New England
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett AT Pro; F75
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
Hi All , before I get criticized for having a sour grape attitude and told to post elsewhere I would like to voice concerns regarding "banner" finds and what qualifies. My main issue is with those people : I assume the moderators, who make the final approval on what qualifies as banner. Last month I found what turned out to be a very rare and valuable rev war button and was gracious to all those who replied and to those who nominated it for the banner. Again I thank all of you who read and liked my thread. My issue comes not only with the find not making banner but with those finds that always make the banner..namely gold coins . Now I get it and I believe gold coins are rare and should always be banner worthy. However from a rarity standpoint and value standpoint ; not to mention historical importance ,the button I found far exceeds on all counts that of many , if not most of the gold coins found. So call me out if you wish, but that's how I feel. Step it up moderators to give those less "glamorous " finds a little credit ; you have left me disappointed.
Last edited:

)
Having said that one reason I like this particular forum is because of the"Banner'. To me relying on the shear number of votes criteria to determine a banner at some point becomes a bit of people jumping on the bandwagon. I fully agree that that gold coins are great finds and to most are obvious banner finds( on my bucket list). However what initially and still attracts me to a banner find is that it gets special recognition and notice. No I'am not looking for a pat on the back . Rather I see it as a find that not only draws attention, but more importantly informs less knowledgeable members that there are great finds besides lets say a gold piece. Hell , I didn't even know what I had until Iron patch ID'd it for me( see original thread). And I can assure you that a lot of people would have looked more closely had it been "highlighted" and learned something. I love this hobby and my main argument against the archeology types is that we detectorist's save a ton of history ; look at my button, who knows in 20 years it may have crumbed away and be lost forever. This is where I think those with the final say need to step in . You moderator types know what is rare and important ; maybe not sexy like a gold coin but in a sense a much more exciting find. And no I still feel my button should have been highlighted and despite those neysayers, not to massage my ego, but to educate and enlighten people on significant and very neat finds. I think "vpone" and "against the wind" made excellent points in their respective posts. Change isn't always bad .
Other examples are the fabled '09s VDB, or '16 D, etc... There are buttons or trade tokens that could be one of a kind. But it would be next to impossible to assemble a truly non-biased panel of judges that wouldn't each be swayed by their personal biases. Therefore, unfortunately, there will forever be flaws in any system that attempts to judge.






