Barrels in fast water

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So guys, due to the fact I cant find a set of pontoons for a reasonable price, I'm sure barrels are in future for my upcoming build. My question is how are they going to "handle" in fast water? I'm sure I will be floating this dredge down river over rapids from class 1 to class 5 and I'll take the dredge out of the water and move it down river past anything above class 2's. I do plan on trying to dredge in some of the calmer fast water but my concern is the drag that a barrel will have over a pontoon with angled surfaces. Any experience? I was thinking of a piece of aluminum bent in a V and placed in front of the lead barrels. Good idea of bad?

Also anyone have or know of 6" dredge parts for sale?
Looking for:

Nozzle
flare
Pontoons (lol)

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
So guys, due to the fact I cant find a set of pontoons for a reasonable price, I'm sure barrels are in future for my upcoming build. My question is how are they going to "handle" in fast water? I'm sure I will be floating this dredge down river over rapids from class 1 to class 5 and I'll take the dredge out of the water and move it down river past anything above class 2's. I do plan on trying to dredge in some of the calmer fast water but my concern is the drag that a barrel will have over a pontoon with angled surfaces. Any experience? I was thinking of a piece of aluminum bent in a V and placed in front of the lead barrels. Good idea of bad? Also anyone have or know of 6" dredge parts for sale? Looking for: Nozzle flare Pontoons (lol)

Have you asked Roger if he haves any.. His ebay account i think is maxfuz he always have things roaming around... Check him out.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I think it would work ok if you plan on moving downstream only. Lol. Maybe look for a couple of kayaks you could seal up and rig. Lighter and more streamline idk just a thought.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Why not use the inflatables like the use in nome? Cheapest flair new would be from Allen trees about 200 dollars Also have 100 ' of kanaflex 105 6" but shipping would be a bit for sure ... I'll look. Around think I have a extra nozzle also
I like inflatable banana boat paired together but i havent find nothing at the right price they are all $500&up just for one. It should be sweet when packing out specially in deep rivers when you dont have lift your dredge most of the time. Okay so i did found one for 130 bucks on amazon . But is a hotdog instead of a banana lol

Attachments

• image-2930707842.jpg
    image-2930707842.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Contacted him this morning, doesn't have anything right now.

Well if thats all you need ;
i would make the floats since i find them over value buying it new and buy the rest new from keene. You would maybe save 200 but you will get something used.
But i dont know your situation im just saying.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not use the inflatables like the use in nome?
Cheapest flair new would be from Allen trees about 200 dollars
Also have 100 ' of kanaflex 105 6" but shipping would be a bit for sure ...
I'll look. Around think I have a extra nozzle also

I considered inflatable, I worry about punctures/abrasions dragging it around for place to place. A real bad day would be a submerged dredge.
Don't know anything about kanaflex 105...Shipping couldn't be to bad if rolled/tapped and put in box...don't know for sure though. I was considering kanaflex 155gy. I could get 25' for 226.25 with 27 shipping. Can you beat that price?
I'm interested in your nozzle and hose, shoot me a price either here or pm.
Allen doesn't sell part any more. If you look at his website, parts are removed. I called him last year and he told me the same thing, he doesn't sell part any more. Hell he's only 3-4 hours from me, that would be awesome if he did.

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
I considered inflatable, I worry about punctures/abrasions dragging it around for place to place. A real bad day would be a submerged dredge. Don't know anything about kanaflex 105...Shipping couldn't be to bad if rolled/tapped and put in box...don't know for sure though. I was considering kanaflex 155gy. I could get 25' for 226.25 with 27 shipping. Can you beat that price? I'm interested in your nozzle and hose, shoot me a price either here or pm. Allen doesn't sell part any more. If you look at his website, parts are removed. I called him last year and he told me the same thing, he doesn't sell part any more. Hell he's only 3-4 hours from me, that would be awesome if he did.
Have you priced hose at alternative hose supply in boise?

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not yet, Where I was working last year I got a 30% discount...I'm almost afraid of calling... I have bought all my hose in the past from them...

Edit: just called and they want 13.40 a foot so I can order online with shipping and save about 70-75 bucks.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flat bottom floats are best but Barrels will work. Just mod them to suit your needs, wouldn't be that hard to fab a couple nose cones for the front two.
Your nose cones must cover the complete ends of the barrels to insure that the flat ends of the barrels don't get caught on any obstacles.

GG~

Last edited:

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of variables here.

Smaller diameter barrels would obviously perform better.
Stance of the overall "craft", weight distribution and balance.
Maybe lighter on the upstream end or tail heavy to reduce plowing in swift water.
Not a solo operation if you plan on floating it down the river.
Will anchor ropes "clothesline" the random Kayaker/Rafter?

Sounds like a fun project and adventure I have to admit.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably illegal to dredge around here, but with rapids, all I have to say is yeehah!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There will be rafters that I'll have to deal with so If I do a line across I'll have to make sure it will be high enough. Then again they are saying we have a low snow pack in the mountains so it will be a low water year and they may close it down to rafters.
The size of barrels I was considering are ?25 or 30? gallon. I was thinking either 4 or 6.

I found this site last year for pontoons and like the design but I imagine they are going to be expensive.
Snyder Industries - Flotation | Pipe Floats | Pontoons | Line Hose Floats | Pipe Balls | Spherical Line Floats | Surface Pipe Floats | Interlocking Pipe Floats | Nautilus Floats

Anybody know or other places that make pontoons?

I've searched the surrounding states with craigslist and haven't found any used pontoons. A friend of mine has some older 'toons that had holes in them so he had them rhino-lined on the outside and now they are heavy as all heck, he said he might just give them to me but I am not sure how much weight they will hold now that they are heavy!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Umm, didn't know the new dredges had their boxes in the water. I'm going to have my box as low as possible to keep my flare as flat as possible. On my 4" that ment my discharge side of the sluice was just touching the water and my flare side was around 3.5" or so above the water.

My plan is to use a 13hp HF engine, a 500gpm DAHLKE pump and I'm going to build a infinity jet.
My back up plan is to use the Proline 350 pump I have, buy another one, buy 2 6hp HF engine, have the cranks threaded for the pumps.
My back up to the back up is to sell the Subaru EX17 with the Proline pump and buy 2 engine and 2 Dahlke pumps so I don't have to thread the cranks.
How every it plays out LOL!

Last edited:

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Umm, didn't know the new dredges had their boxes in the water. I'm going to have my box as low as possible to keep my flare as flat as possible. On my 4" that ment my discharge side of the sluice was just touching the water and my flare side was around 3.5" or so above the water. My plan is to use a 13hp HF engine, a 500gpm DAHLKE pump and I'm going to build a infinity jet. My back up plan is to use the Proline 350 pump I have, buy another one, buy 2 6hp HF engine, have the cranks threaded for the pumps. My back up to the back up is to sell the Subaru EX17 with the Proline pump and buy 2 engine and 2 Dahlke pumps so I don't have to thread the cranks. How every it plays out LOL!
Yes most of

Last edited:

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I am an engineer and you didn't just fall of the turnip truck
but you have me thinking about this float thing.

Barrels, 3 left and 3 right, stackable where the bottom of one barrel nests in the top of the other, bolted together with a backing plate or HUGE fender washers.
obvious access panel to connect the barrels together and barrel/pontoon to the dredge frame, barrel bottoms face upstream to reduce parasitic drag.
Maybe a Gull wing frame to lower the profile, where the dredge sits lower and between the floats rather than just being high and on top of the floats.
Hopefully you can visualize this.

My 2 cents are up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions