Basic signs and symbols you have found

On this show, it was/is the first time, that I have heard, that any one professional had come out and speculated as to the meanings of several different types of monuments. The statement the archeologist, native to the island chain, stated seems reasonable, that the owl was a very efficient predator, and was seen mostly at night, thus it was revered by the island peoples. There had been owls on the islands several hundred years ago, and the indigenous people would have respected this creature, that may be why they carved the many different owl monuments. The owl monument was the most numerous of all the monuments in the island chain.

I agree that there would have been different meanings attached to the same monument depending on where you lived. It just struck me as a bit odd that there were owls carved in stone on the island chains, several hundred years ago, when Europeans visited the island chain; and the same or a similar style of carved owls could be seen in the many different parts of the world at the same time.

This just further reinforces my beliefs that there were sea faring travelers visiting the far reached of the world, thousands of years before what is the approved or accepted period of archeologists and anthropologists.

Javaone..nice trail markers! That last one has me wondering. Did you notice that quartz looking rock behind it? Seems different than the other assorted rocks.

Eye catchers come in all sizes so it seems. Yours..perhaps a trail marker, boundary marker is what I would consider. But it sure catches your eye.

I've never seen a bird point uphill..as yours seems to do. Interesting.

Ut..owl is an old old symbol..as you likely know.

Javaone!! Does the rock too the right of the 'crock' rock have numbers on our side of it, the one behind the tule stems?? td

Here is the other side of the crock rock - no numbers around that i saw...

IMG_0582 (2).jpg

I am just getting started at this but the pic that Shortstack enhanced also shows the large pointer rock w/ 5 attached to be showing a vague vertical arrow. When you follow it up along the intersection of the nose & face you see a turtle and above that a figure w arrow above its head. Further up you see an stone arrow with a show arrow aheadd of it. Several marker rocks are maybe caliched in place and more shadow images. Also rotate the pict. clockwise 90 degrees and look next to the nose by the face is that an animal?

Thom

Hello Thomas,
welcome to the discussion.
One thing I never advocate is turning a picture ...
unless it is of a horizontal flat surface.

Maps and signs on a flat surface can be approached from any angle and thusly can be adjusted to be at a correct attitude.
any other pictures should be studied at their upright position. No rotating no reorienting.

Brent,
A V is also a confirmation mark

Try not to ignore the obvious guys,
The most likely place for further instructions is on top of the figure itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0581 (2).jpg
    IMG_0581 (2).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 668
Old Dog said:
Try not to ignore the obvious guys,
The most likely place for further instructions is on top of the figure itself.
The obvious?... Yep, didn't take any of the top :-[ - I will be up here again in a week or two, I will get a couple then.

Note that my mark up is only a supposition.
It it what can be seen from this angle.

A good top photo will determine whether or not it has any credence.

The tip of the croc's snout looks chopped off....Now this is just my experience....But where I have found rock pointer's or clues, and the end points have been dulled, or cut off...the cache has been retrieved. In Brewers book...he states (and I dont know that this is kgc) that they would leave clues that the cache has been retrieved. In my area I believe that to be the broken tips.....I hope that I am wrong and know that you will follow this to the end...Hope you find the big one!....Steve

BIT,

Having grown up in Florida with lots of water, I noticed a darker area under(behind) your dripping ledge. The face looks right at it.

Clay

Attachments

• DrippingLedge.jpg
    DrippingLedge.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 603
Clay Lindsey said:
BIT,

Having grown up in Florida with lots of water, I noticed a darker area under(behind) your dripping ledge. The face looks right at it.

Clay
Good eye, Clay. You appear to be the only one who saw that.

Thom, which face are you talking about? That one high to the right with the letters and numbers on this side of his base; in the middle with black eyes; or the big guy to the lower left with the wart on the side of his nose?

upper_Dominguez_canyon_031-a.jpg

Here are a couple I picked up today.
Note the detail in this face, we don't find this kind of detail too often.

I'll repost this and hope my resized pictures actually fit this time.

Bill, the face on the boulder with the writing on the base is the one with the detail.

Attachments

• upper_Dominguez_canyon_026 a.jpg
    upper_Dominguez_canyon_026 a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 528
  • upper_Dominguez_canyon_031 A.jpg
    upper_Dominguez_canyon_031 A.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 516
  • upper_Dominguez_canyon_026 a.jpg
    upper_Dominguez_canyon_026 a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 504
Here are a couple more that just showed up from yesterday.
The first Hoyo is an alpha.
the second is just a pointer., hiding behind a clump of grass

Attachments

• upper_Dominguez_canyon_002 A.jpg
    upper_Dominguez_canyon_002 A.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 511
  • upper_Dominguez_canyon_006 A.jpg
    upper_Dominguez_canyon_006 A.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 480

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions