sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remodeled what used to be the only bathroom we had when we married 30 years ago. Early on, the 1940s POS cottage had 2 small bedrooms, this bath, one narrowass closet, and a small kitchen that included the water heater, washer, dryer and no cabinets. Oh, and add a boy and a girl to the mix who shared the "minipad" for 10 years. We eventually tripled the size of the house. By this time, the bathroom needed a going over again. I tore out everything including the floor joists and framed it the way it needed to be. Had the old fixtures refinished (new john, of course). I made the mirror frame from some old heart pine that I reclaimed from the original county jail that was built around 1830 and stuck the glass shelf on it that used to be on the wall. I told the missus this was gonna be a man's bathroom. No sissifying the one room I can claim. To make it official, I put some pieces of pottery in a case that had been boxed up for years, and hung it on the wall, centered under a recessed LED that just happens to also be positioned as my "reading light".

bath.jpg mirror.jpg pottery1.jpg

That frame of pottery is very cool. Arrangement is nice. Pots would have been exceptional whole.
Sounds like a place wife and I lived in,pretty cramped and we had no kids.

Where can I buy that case the pottery is in? I want to copy you with.

Thanks, man. I'm not sure, but the nickname sounds sorta familiar.
His IRL name is Bud and he's a kayaker, finds some really nice pot sherds as well in Georgia, sent me a very nice frames worth many moons ago.
The Georgia pot patterns are some of the best I've seen, paddle designs I believe.

Now all you have to do to be able to really appreciate your project, is go on a very low fiber diet to induce severe constipation, so you can spend a lot of viewing time in there and really look at your masterpiece!

It's a lovely remodel, and the pottery exhibit is awesome. I have gut remodeled two bathrooms and just can't bring myself to tackle the final one, which still has its original 1950's fixtures and plumbing. The odors, the dust, the dead bats in the walls, the odd plumbing decisions of the prior owners has left me with remodel PTSD. Seeing yours though gives me the tiniest urge to get to it.

My family is moving soon. We looked at many old houses, the oldest from the early 1700's. Some we didn't like (needed tons of work or very drafty/leaky) and we got outbid on one. I won't go any further though so I don't jinx it. The least I will say is where ever we move, especially if it is an old place, I hope to have a museum room. Very cool idea for your bathroom! I love the tiles on the bathroom floor too! I wish I could turn my bathroom into that!

me likey, where is the beer tap?

A very handsome job there sandchip! Let her sissify her own space! Amazing pottery display to read to. Nice!!

Last edited:
Where can I buy that case the pottery is in? I want to copy you with.

Troy Futral from Dothan, Alabama is who I get all my frames from. There are more elaborate and far more expensive cases available, but it can get to the point where the case is outshining the artifacts displayed in it. Troy is a great guy who is at most shows in the Southeast, always generous to the kids and for years has sponsored the Dothan show which is one of the best shows around. He has cases in a variety of woods and sizes and also velvet inserts in several colors. His numbers are 334-821-5823 or 334-703-4313.

A very handsome job there sandchip! Let her sissify her own space! Amazing pottery display to read to. Nice!!

Thanks, man. I've had a slab ready for my cave for 15 years now, but other expenses like those that walk on two legs and eat everything in sight had to be dealt with first. In a way, that's good though because my plans for it have evolved through the years from when I first drew up plans. I've collected more old materials for it, so if the old bod holds out, maybe I'll be getting started on it before too terribly long.

Very nice assortment. Two thumbs up!

Congrats on the great job, liking the framed pottery pieces a nice touch.
Just coming up to the one year anniversary of the bathroom demo job. It's almost finished except for hooking up the venting, hydronic heater, and trimming out the window.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back