Batteries!!!!!

rmkayak

Dec 6, 2005
Prosperity, SC
I am new at this incredible hobby and am wondering why no one talks about batteries?

I need 2 9v for my MD and 1 9v for my pinpointer. At 5 bucks for 2, YIKES!!! (and that's at my local mom and pop store)

My manual states NOT to use rechargeable batteries, however, I did. They don't last forever, however, I can just recharge them.

What do you all do?

Do you have favorite chargers and batteries. What about the lithium rechargeable batteries?

HELP!!!!!

Renee

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

I use double AA and 9 volt rechargables on mine and they work great. But get the nickel hybrid ones. They don't develope a memory like the other rechargeable ones. HH

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I posted about batteries a while back. I get the best results out of the cheapest batteries. I use the Dollar Store alkaline batteries (Panasonic or DG Brand) 9V costs $1.50 each, I buy AA's at 24 for $5. They've outlasted Eveready and Duracell every time.
Happy Hunting. Dan

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the older Ni cad batteries would develop a "memory" if not completely discharged. What I did was completely discharge them by putting them in a flashlight, or something that will discharge them quickly, and left it on until the batteries were dead, then recharged them.
I don't know if the newer Nickel Hydride batteries are the same way or not.
I just use alkaline batteries my detectors, and they hold up very well.
Make sure you're using headphones. If you don't, you will shorten your battery life.

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
Batterys were the subject some time back, there were quite a few posts on the subject, the information that sticks in my brain was, according to Consumer Reports, "BUY BATTERIES BUY PRICE, NOT BY NAME". I have been buying from Walgreen and Costco. been very happy! ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can sometimes get some pretty good deals by buying in bulk on eBay or the days after Christmas there might be some good sales at stores for people needing batteries for their new gadgets and toys. Also, they drain pretty quickly if used in the cold, so don't leave them in your machine in the car at night if it's going to be cold.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I use NiMh, or Nickle Metal Hydrate (spelling?) they don't have a memory, and last a long time (using 2500MH) I also use them in my camera. I did the White's AA battery packs (2) rechargable conversion , now I can recharge 8 AA batteries on either fast, or slow (overnight)
I buy the batteries at Walmart, 4 for $7, but they pay for themselves in no time at all.

Paul

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i buy the cheapest i can find, they last just as long as higher price ones do,

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
I am betting the cheap batteries,( like a lot of things) are made at the same place and the labels put on for each company. They all dont have their own factories churning them out.

luckyduckie

Greenie
Apr 13, 2005
get some eveready energizer nimh batteries. the AA sized are now 2500 mha and the 9 volt are 150 mha or higher. they have a lifetime warranty that covers anything they are used in against damage caused by the battery leaking. you can find them at best buy, target or possibly at you local supermarket. they will save you a lot of money and are better for the environment. just be sure you have a charger that will properly handle the newer higher capacity batteries.

chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions