Battle of Hucks Defeat hunt 8-9-07 updated post

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
Just to start out thanks to all who responded to my previous posts I have taken and used all of your advice.
NEW DILEMA - jumping signals, I am trying to do some relic and coin hunting, I have yet to dig every signal because of the signal jumping on the ace 250.
On one swing the display will tone and show foil and on the back swing it will show anything from a penny to a dollar. I'll try it at different angles and It will do the same, so I dig and dig and up comes a crusty nail several of them!!!!(in different holes) I just read Dig It All but does that apply to this situation?

And whats up with moving targets? Does it seem like targets sometimes mysteriously move from one spot to another?

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Re: Jumping Signals "Bing Boong Bong"

Pretty much, I set my M6 at disc nails if I am coin shooting, and dig all if relic hunting, and as far as erratic signals and digging, just tonight I dug a sacajawea dollar that was shooting from foil to silver to gold......and wouldnt lock on, turned out there was a piece of fence wire next to it at 5 inches deep ....as long as it's a strong signal...I'll dig it....I dont want to miss anything good :)

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Re: Jumping Signals "Bing Boong Bong"

Sounds to me like your hunting a rather trashy area. Find a spot where there are less targets that are more spread out until you get a better feel for the ace. If your hunting a park this could be as simple as moving away from the picnic area.

If you cant get away from the trashy areas for now hunt in coin mode. There is a chance you could miss some gold with the pull tab area notched out but decent size gold rings and coins (men's wedding bands) will likely sound off as a nickel and silver rings/jewelry is going to sound off in the higher coin tones. This will disc out the majority of trash and pull tabs. Some tabs will still give a solid nickel reading however. Some foil will also fool the detector in the higher coin range.

You kind of have to compromise with lower end detectors when it comes to trashy areas (i use an ace too). Like I said there is a chance you might miss some stuff in the coin mode but if your getting constant chatter from junk in trashy areas your not going to cover much ground any way. Six of one a half dozen of the other.

If your really into the relics then your back to digging everything. You can also try dropping the sensativity way down which IMO has little effect on depth of finds when it comes to the ace. This will help if its the ground itself causing the chatter but aint going to make a difference with the trash.

OP
OP
carpetbagger

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
Battle of Hucks Defeat hunt 8-9-07

On Thursday I will be hunting an area with very much history. in a small 6x6 area i Doug up 6 nails, the old kind with the square heads. After that I pretty much kept skipping over those signals to later find out that that was not a good idea. So I will be back Thursday, the battle of Huck's defeat took place In this general area and Brattonsville SC is less than a quarter of a mile away. I have 12 acres of woods and some cleared areas to play in forever.I would love some suggestions on a plan of attack, weather it be info on history / or techniques on the ace 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread