How many digs, the scoop question again

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Hi guys.
Was just wondering how many times you guys have to dig to get to the metal? Sometimes i feel like I need to waste to much time trying to get to it, specially in the surf. One dig-one wave-hole gone!!!!!!! Sometimes it takes me twenty or more digs to get to it when its a deep one. What are youre experiances? Would a 6" make a much better dig than a 4"?
aleman

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The bigger the better. I wouldn't even consider a 4 ;D

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
6" makes a huge difference over a 4". I have a sunspot stealth... it is about 8" wide and 12" long. I usually get things in one or 2 scoops. It is hard enough to pinpoint in the water. Adding to that a tiny (and yes, 4" is tiny) scoop makes a hard job even harder

steve

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve knows what he is talking about. I too use the Sunspot scoop as it gets the job done in one scoop usually. It moves a lot of sand. http://www.sunspotedm.com/beachscoops/ It would be the only one you'd ever need to buy. Handle floats so you can let go of it in the water.

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 99
  • STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 99

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
How many scoops???? Until you get it or give up!!! I have been water hunting for over 30 years and still have problems in really fine sand. I hunt mainly in salt water in the surf some smooth and some rough. If you pinpoint good you should be able to get your target with the 4"scoop.But like was mentioned before, You don't always get the pinpoint right. I think the main problem with recovery is the angle of the scoop. If you push the scoop straight down all the way and then roll down you will keep the target in the scoop. ,A lot of the time the target falls out and back in the hole. Your biggest problems will be in deep water. I use a 5" scoop that is light weight and would not trade for anything. We hunt for 5 ot 6 hours a day for 30 or 40 days in a row and it makes a big difference.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread