The sad fact is a lot of unsavory people did alot of unscrupulous things when the idea occurred to them there was serious money in the ground in the form of artifacts.
It was no coincidence that this all started to blow up and become visible to many at the same time the internet did.
The buying and selling was at the root of this mess.
Several of these folks had entire websites dedicated to the sale of artifacts.
I don't agree with how it was done but tactically speaking I can understand going after the head of the snake.
Spot on Gator.
Bottom line, artifacts were looted then re-sold. Would people get in trouble for selling stolen TV's from Best Buy? You know it.
I don't agree with how they arrested some of these people. They should have brought them before a judge years ago and told them what would happen to them and given them a warning. Some of these guys were guilty of knowingly buying looted artifacts, and some probably didn't know (or asked questions like they were afraid to know). But to rush into their homes like these old guys were killers or something and handcuff their wives, holy $h!t. That won't get the public behind you. A couple may have deserved that kind of treatment, but not all.
I have never sold a single piece I have found and never will. I only collect on private property with permission. I guest teach kids at a local school and I have had many pieces donated to me for teaching them. I have bought some field grade points for those frames, and if the stuff I bought was gone, I'd be out $175.00 tops, for all of it put together.
Ebay is ruining this hobby with all the fakes on it. It drives the prices of legit pieces up, and there are scammers who autheniticate points as well and people are paying for an opinion, and sometimes a "swayed opinion" via a shady dealer's checkbook. But try and tell buyers that they are undoubtedly buying fakes and you won't make friends with them.
A couple of the huge Clovis points that went for HUGE bucks recently are known to be fake, but if you get a bunch of guys to paper them, you're buying one expensive lie.
However some people who see that they could make huge money by digging up one of these points - well it's like winning the lottery if they do, and so they try. If they dig one grave and find some pots and other artifacts and it pays them decent money, chances are they'll keep taking the risk.