Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out detecting, I found three different sized snake skins in two different locations. Time to wrap my lower legs. Snakes seldom bite above the knee on flat ground. Gotta be alert, we've got Timber Rattlers, Copperheads and Cottonmouth here in Virginia. Last year, I almost kneeled on a Copperhead, they are very beautifully marked yet very camouflaged. Virginia has 32 Native Snakes with just 3 being venomous. There is no such thing as a 'poisonous' snake unless you eat one. Snakes have venom.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you, your snakes are out already. The snakes here in Pa are waiting for warmer weather to come out. I can't wait til they are out and about. Venemous snakes don't bother me at all. I need more snake photos.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was out last Nov. 20th(Sandbridge Va.)
139.JPG
143.JPG
and it was freaking Cold...scared the ---- out of me.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTR, you gotta get closer to get good photos. Three foot is my shooting distance from Timber Rattlesnakes. You don't need telephoto being that close.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTR, you gotta get closer to get good photos. Three foot is my shooting distance from Timber Rattlesnakes. You don't need telephoto being that close.
It surprised me (I really wasn't looking for snakes) :) See my foot prints I almost stepped on it .Good thing. for me. it was cold and he was slow :BangHead:
That was close enough for me ,I could hear his rattles

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful and stay alert. I disliked copperheads more cause they're sneaky, but you can smell them if they're close. And you're right on that distinction. Certain snakes are venomous, but you can eat them, certain mushrooms are poisonous and you better not eat them. My son is always pointing that out to me when I misspeak.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful and stay alert. I disliked copperheads more cause they're sneaky, but you can smell them if they're close. And you're right on that distinction. Certain snakes are venomous, but you can eat them, certain mushrooms are poisonous and you better not eat them. My son is always pointing that out to me when I misspeak.
whooaahhh, what do they smell like?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, they smell sorta like cucumbers. But you can smell them when within a few feet sometimes. Copperheads are related to water moccasins, and their babies look alike. In Oklahoma there would be copperheads in an area for awhile then you wouldn't see any for some time maybe a few years, then they'd be back. They do like to be near water.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, they smell sorta like cucumbers. But you can smell them when within a few feet sometimes. Copperheads are related to water moccasins, and their babies look alike. In Oklahoma there would be copperheads in an area for awhile then you wouldn't see any for some time maybe a few years, then they'd be back. They do like to be near water.
Wow, thanks!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing Richard Guy is just always be alert and aware of your surroundings, which as a vet, I'm sure you already are. Take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread