What's new

Beach Hunting in Va Beach...MACHINES...MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK?

CAPTBEACH

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I'm going to get started MD'ing here in Hampton Roads Va and need some advise...

Dollar for Dollar...whats the best bang for the buck in a MD for beach work and the occasional home site and or relic exploration?

Capt Beach

I inherited this and probably will keep it...
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0013resized.webp
    DSCF0013resized.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 728
  • DSCF0013resized.webp
    DSCF0013resized.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 637
Upvote 0
CaptBeach,

What you're asking for doesn't exist, sad to say. You can get one detector for salt water beach/surf hunting, and another one for homesite/relic hunting. You are expressing two different needs and one detector will likely not fulfill both.

The closest you may come is with the Fisher CZ-21, but I don't know what kind of depth it would get for relic hunting.

A Pulse Induction (PI) detector is great at depth, but you can't discriminate anything, which isn't bad for relic hunting per se, but in hunting trashy home lots, it will take you to a new dimension of hell.

If you want the best beach/surf machine: most folks will promote either the Excal, the CZ-21, or the Garrett Infinium (PI), all of which are pretty evenly priced. I wouldn't overlook the White's Dual Field if you're interested in PI machine.

The best home site/relic machine is an argument I don't even want to start. :D But some have expressed good feelings about the Tesoro Tejon.
 
I think I may wait until the new Garrett AT comes out...hearing lots of Buzz about it...
 
CAPTBEACH said:
I think I may wait until the new Garrett AT comes out...hearing lots of Buzz about it...

I am probably buying one myself.

Look into the depth of the thing for relic hunting though, not sure how deep its supposed to go.
 
Check with Virigina Beach Max, he has used every detector made for the beach, knows that area like the back of his hand.........And will point you in the right direction....

alittle video of the Master....
 
What exactly do you have there? I see "Garrett" on the manual but can't make out which detector it is....... You difinitiely have a serious assortment of coils. They may be interchangable with other Garrett detectors. They do make some good detectors, and dollar for dollar, it would be nice if you could use the coils you have, even if the detector is outdated.
 
AS far as I can tell its a Garrett Master Hunter BFO with just about every coil you could get...LOL...gonna try it out in the yard later...my property was supposed to be a site of an old 1700's barn and stable...we'll see soon enough...looks like I've been bitten by the MD bug...and I aint even found anything yet...
 
CAPTBEACH said:
AS far as I can tell its a Garrett Master Hunter BFO with just about every coil you could get...LOL...gonna try it out in the yard later...my property was supposed to be a site of an old 1700's barn and stable...we'll see soon enough...looks like I've been bitten by the MD bug...and I aint even found anything yet...

Wait until you pull up some gold or silver.
 
those coils are downright scary..id trip over those in the water... ;D...good luck with that hh
 
The new Garrett AT Pro looks great but it does not have a salt mode which may give unwanted signals in salt water beaches.
 
wow that machine is a blast from the past.. i imagine there was a timewhen that was top of the line.. i use a soveriegn gt for both beach and land... at the beach it is excellent.. on land it takes a little more skill.. it is very good for open field colonial site hunting.. goes deep if tuned right for the area you are hunting.. i dont like using it for trashy areas , but thats me.. cost is 825 ish. if you are not sure you are going to like this hobby and dont want to make a financial commitment then maybe an ace 250 would be a better starting point... however if you want to hunt in the water you would need a waterproof unit.. good luck.
 
That BFO detector is a dinosaur compared to the ones even made a couple years ago. As Smudge said there is no ONE perfect detector for all places. For the beach you can't go wrong with the Excal for the water or the Sovereign GT for the shore or in the woods for relics and does a killer job in parks also. Both the Excal and Sov GT are very deep with excellent disc, unlike the BFO.
 
all u have to do is walk down to beach any given day around low tide

and see what detectors are being use.............simple solution.

anywhere from 3 to 6 hunters everyday.......come on down........we all use the same. or 99% do
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom