Beach metal detecting help!

estherslocum

Oct 22, 2023
Hey guys, I recently got a Deus XP WS4 and have been figuring it out pretty well. My family and I are at the beach this week on vacation and my dad and I were out for a couple hours and got one real signal the entire time, it was brass that was very shallow. After a while with no signals I buried the brass deeper (about 6 inches) and my detector didn't make a peep. I had it on wet sand mode and didn't touch any of the controls other than volume. Does anyone know why it's not picking anything past 2 inches up? all other pre sets have a seemingly normal depth. This was a used machine and i'm not sure if it's normal but there's pretty constant quiet chirping, normally when I come across a real target (when i've been hunting near a lake) i get a loud, solid beep that's very distinctive from the chirps and i've never had a problem with depth. my dad was using an x-terra 705 and his depth wasn't good at all either when in beach mode. i'm slightly disheartened as I was so excited to detect on the beach, so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I'd also like to add that we came to this beach last year and purchased a generic detector and although it chirped allll the time on the sand we were able to find quite a few targets, i can't imagine these high-end detectors wouldn't be able to handle it.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from HELP! over to BRANDS > XP METAL DETECTORS for more exposure.
tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I recently got a Deus XP WS4 and have been figuring it out pretty well. My family and I are at the beach this week on vacation and my dad and I were out for a couple hours and got one real signal the entire time, it was brass that was very shallow. After a while with no signals I buried the brass deeper (about 6 inches) and my detector didn't make a peep. I had it on wet sand mode and didn't touch any of the controls other than volume. Does anyone know why it's not picking anything past 2 inches up? all other pre sets have a seemingly normal depth. This was a used machine and i'm not sure if it's normal but there's pretty constant quiet chirping, normally when I come across a real target (when i've been hunting near a lake) i get a loud, solid beep that's very distinctive from the chirps and i've never had a problem with depth. my dad was using an x-terra 705 and his depth wasn't good at all either when in beach mode. i'm slightly disheartened as I was so excited to detect on the beach, so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I'd also like to add that we came to this beach last year and purchased a generic detector and although it chirped allll the time on the sand we were able to find quite a few targets, i can't imagine these high-end detectors wouldn't be able to handle it.
There could be a few reasons. Did you check the coil cover ? Make sure it is clean between the coil and the cover.Was the coil fully charged ? Just a few to start with .

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPPS ALSO Welcome to Treasurenet :)

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure I'd consider the Deus 1 for wet sand, although I haven't used mine on the beach myself. Before buying my D1 my research hinted that it wouldn't be best for the beach, at least not on wet sand. But since I had no intention of beach detecting with it, I didn't research any further.

I suggest checking YouTube for beach detecting with the D1. Don't bother watching any using the Deus2, it's a very different machine and likely works better on wet sand than the D1.

I'm sure I remember seeing at least one Gary Blackwell video on YouTube about using the D1 on the beach. If you're unfamiliar with Gary's videos, and you own a D1 (or D2), you should watch as many of them as you can. He does an amazing job walking you through the machine in many varied situations. I admit I learned so much from his videos even before I bought my Deus, I felt like I knew the machine from the day it was delivered.

Maybe I'm wrong about beach detecting with the D1 but this is what I remember.

🧭🧭🧭

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2023
Hi folks,

So my Minicab Explorer SE Pro had to be sent in for repair a while back. I decided it was a good time to try out the XP Deus as I was intrigued. I thought perhaps I'd end up having two machines for different situations which is never a bad thing. Having used explorers for 12 years or so I am obviously well versed on these machines. I understand their strengths and weaknesses. My only real complaint with the explorer is the weight, and having such a slow sweep speed can be annoying. That said, they are killers...especially when it comes to deep targets. I've tried dozens of different machines and always go back to the explorer and end up selling the other machines off. I was hoping this wasn't the case with the XP Deus.

I bought the WS4 with remote and standard 11" coil. I should preface the following with the fact I have only used the XP Deus on two hunts. That said, each hunt was a good 8-10 hr hunt. Not nearly enough time to come close to fully understanding a machine, but should be enough to get a handle on it. The good...this thing is super light, and I love how portable and easy to use it is with everything being wireless. My arm wasn't even sore at the end of the day, which it always is after an 8 hour hunt with the explorer! I found the tones somewhat pleasing, and the recovery speed was good. I did manage to make some nice finds. Having said that, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the depth on the XP Deus! I dug up a couple of small brass fur trade ring at 2" in one area. Due to this find I started digging what I'd consider weak and horrible signals in the general area. Fortunately I was as I had a very broken, crappy, quiet signal that I wouldn't normally dig. I was stunned that I found another brass trade ring at 3.5". I actually reburied it and tweaked every setting imaginable to make the signal jump out but no matter what I did I couldn't make it much better. If I had hit that target with the explorer it would have rang off like a champ, and although it was small brass....I suspect I could have hit that at 8" no problem.

The XP Deus must be capable of more depth than this I would hope!?

Anyone have any suggestions on settings? For the record, I'm not a park hunter. I'm hunting old sites where I want to dig just about everything, with the exception of some iron.

Frankly I was not expecting to get the same depth as I do with the explorer...I've hit fishscales at 10"+. I'd be happy if the XP deus came in a couple inches less. Any former Explorer users hunting with the XP Deus now have any thoughts on this? Preferably someone who has actually spent some time with an Explorer.

I'm hoping my settings are out of whack and it's something I'm just not understanding...as I really want this thing to succeed.

Here are my settings...at least the last option I tried:

Disc: 0
Sens: 90
Freq: 17.4
Iron Vol: 2
React: 2.5 (Tried 2 - 3)
Audio Resp: 4
Pitch: 2 Tones
TX Power: 2
Silencer: -1
Audio Overload: 1

Thanks

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to this forum from Oregon! Hopefully you will get a lot of information and suggestions about your situation from the members here. There is a lot of experience, knowledge and information on this forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread