What's new

Beach Metal Detecting

dionne

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello all!
Could someone recommend a detector for wet and dry sand? The sand shark is a little high for me, to give you an idea. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Upvote 0
You need a multi-frequency VLF metal detector for Wet & Dry saltwater sand, and they start at $1,100.00 and are not waterproof. You can get a Sand Shark (pulse induction) for the wet sand and water, and a single- frequency VLF detector for the dry sand for about $800-$900.00 - Good Luck!
 
Terry's partially right about multifrequency VLF detectors, as my old Fisher CZ-20 transmitted at 5Khz and 15Khz simultaneously. But my really old Fisher 1280 Aquanaut was waterproof to 250', very stable on dry or wet sand or in the water itself, but it transmitted at 7.5Khz.

CZ-20 replaced by CZ-21 in 2008 - cost about $1,200.00 with a 10 1/2" coil.
1280X runs about $600.00, and get the large coil, not the standard 8" coil (too small). Coils on waterproof machines are not interchangeable.
 
Thanks guys. I'm just a small fish, so maybe I'll just stay in the dry sand.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
A Tiger Shark will work well in the dry sand and at some areas it works well in the wet sand in salt mode, but not everywhere. The 1280 is a good water detector but doesn't handle the wet sand as well but is protected from salt spray. If using a land detector in dry sand just cover the thing with a baggie but leave the bottom open so it can breath.
 
If you are beach hunting more than casually i recommend you buy the best machine u can afford..... because it WILL pay for itself. PIs are more reasonably priced than a VLF water machine. BUT.... you have to dig everything, so they are kind of site specific since they dont have disc like most VLFs. I wouldnt recommend one for the dry sand.... there is a LOT i mean a LOT of targets on the beach that get desolved away quickly in the salt water. I opted for a disc VLF over a PI as my first water machine because i would cover more beach with disc and dig less iron, it was a machine that could be used in the water, wet and dry sand with good depth. If you dont know your beaches ..... go VLF, you can always buy a PI next.

Dew
 
multi freq!! buy used!!! watch the detecting forum classifieds.
chuck.
 
Hey small fish!!! Don't settle for the dry sand. I made that mistake as well. You will rapidly become addicted and upgrade to something that can do the water as well. I recommend the sand shark; but really, if you don't get something that goes in the water then you will end up buying two machines. Ps...if you really want just the dry sand then I will sell you my White's CoinPro for $250, it retails at $300. I suggest you not take me up on it.
 
Crispin said:
Hey small fish!!! Don't settle for the dry sand. I made that mistake as well. You will rapidly become addicted and upgrade to something that can do the water as well. I recommend the sand shark; but really, if you don't get something that goes in the water then you will end up buying two machines. Ps...if you really want just the dry sand then I will sell you my White's CoinPro for $250, it retails at $300. I suggest you not take me up on it.

Ha! Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
seeker41 said:
multi freq!! buy used!!! watch the detecting forum classifieds.
chuck.

Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom