Beach nugget surprise

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The great fire nugget-

I'm beach hunting this morning on the west coast of Florida and I get a hit and dig up a chunk of metal.

First glance- melted slag pile of? It's way too heavy for melted aluminum. I have neo-magnets in my scoop, no reaction there, so this will take a bit more work when I get home.

I start the general cleaning process and do the Redux cleaning method. (thanks Crispin for the chemistry and how to lesson)

The reaction is positive for a noble metal, lots of bubbles coming off the piece, 'soot' left in the aluminum foil, which is dissolving in the process. I've basically put the object on wrinkled aluminum foil, added a bunch of baking soda and heated it up. I was given the physics lesson as to what and why, but I don't recall it specifically at the moment. I'm saving those brain cells for a celebratory beer or six.

The chunk comes out of the Redux pan and is a bit cleaner.

I scratch it on my test stone and see no change with the silver acid testing solution. I've managed to scrape off some of the crud on the piece, and it tests as nothing. (bottom right)

I use a new file, get into metal shavings, and test that. Immediate red color to the solution. (upper left in the test photo) Just to be sure I test a known piece of silver of mine, the ring, (top right) and it's red as well.

The chunk weighs about 4.44 ounces. The Suzie coin is there for size comparison.

The object is now in the display case why I wonder what it is, why is silver deformed like this, where did it come from- all the usual.

I'm naming this piece, "gran peptic de fuego"

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.48.35 PM.png

The nugget with weight.

IMG_7248.jpeg

In the Redux solution.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.49.20 PM.png
Top left, shavings from the nugget.

Top right, from my silver ring.

(might be hard to see, but both are the same red color)

Bottom right, no reaction to the surface scratch of the nugget.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.49.55 PM.png

Just for size.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.48.51 PM.png

With Suzie

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.47.49 PM.png

Close up of scratch area, shiny upper left.

Lightning starts up this morning so the hunt is over for now, but we'll be baaaack!

I made a couple of earlier scratches to see what was under the crusty outer layer and it has already tarnished a bit.

...and my apologies to Crispin for an earlier post where I poked fun at him- I couldn't help myself either... it's a sickness- I was overcome and just had to dump acid on my older scratches.

Ya just can't get enough of that lovely red color.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen something similar to this before. This is indicative as the site of a UFO crash. I don't know why they leave molten silver, but they always do that...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petrified to the point of metalized...

pelican poop. :P

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe what you have there sir is a "fire nugget." Seeing as how the average beer can weighs 14 grams I think what happened is somebody melted down and condensed nine empty beer cans in a cowboy campfire. Congrats on the silver! Looks very old.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen something similar to this before. This is indicative as the site of a UFO crash. I don't know why they leave molten silver, but they always do that...

Don't hate the player...hate the game. Hate the game.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petrified to the point of metalized...

pelican poop. :P

I am sticking with my guess. :P

**AHEM *** > FIRE NUGGET !

Send it off to Crispin Labs for analysis. :P

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking down on it from first picture it looks like a crude idol. The phallus was known to be exaggerated in Native American idols. You need to find the rest of it. Are you detecting where any Indians may have been? I have had a devil of the time with my possible Native American stuff. Also, the "bottom" of the idol is remarkable smooth and level compared to the rest of it. It was definitely crudely made like that. Not melted, being melted would not leave a level surface like that.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering if this could be a raw ore sample?

No, not native to Florida, but it was in transportation while unchanged from it's raw form?

Does anyone have experience with raw ore from Mexico or the US during the early Spanish travels?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread