Beach Trip - Update - Minelab 800 Repair - Part 2

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several weeks ago I posted a thread called "Beach Trip Issues", where my 800 was acting crazy - again.

If you recall, they replaced both my pod head and the coil back in the Spring because they were malfunctioning.

So I contacted Minelab and they had me sent it back in last week. I must say despite some of things people have written here, I have found Minelab and their tech support to be very nice and helpful.

Last week, I returned my pod head, coil and several videos, along with a detail description of what is happening. Yesterday afternoon, John from Minelab called me and said, "He does not understand, but you just have had a string of back luck with the 800". He said it was doing just as I described where it would lock on a tone and just squeal, or just not work at all. He also said nothing I had done or could have done to the unit has caused these issues.
However, the really interesting part of this, is John told me he also found another issues which I had not identified. He said, by accident, he found when my head pod was turned at a slight right angle, the pin pointer came on, even though it was not suppose to and the button was not pressed. This was also most likely why my unit turned off when I accidentally dropped it in about 8" of water. It has internal shorts in the electronics. He did say, there was NO water in the head from when I dropped it.

I am very careful with my unit and take good care of it, especially knowing it is an electronic unit. However, I have just gotten some lemons. Now, I am surprised I was able to find anything with it on my last trip to the beach in October.

I just received a notice that my new pod head has already been shipped back to me, as well as a new headset. If you recall, the volume buttons on my headset just quit working and John said that an internal plastic clip had broken.

I will keep you informed, but wanted to give you an update and also say for me, Minelab has been very nice in helping me.

So is the third time charmed!!!??? Hope so.....keep your fingers crossed

GREAT news, saanich! I'm really glad Minelab's service/repairs folks have taken good care of you!

Wishing you good luck with this one (and I expect you will get just that, as there should be no WAY you have three of them go crazy on you...)

Steve

nice, and the guy told you what they had found, even better. you should be good to go now. (you don't have a black cloud following you?"

Just received my new pod head and headphones in the mail today. Twelve days from the time I sent my unit in till I got it back.

Pretty good service.

Plus, they even loaded the new update on the pod head for me.

a long long time ago, there was a cartoon series in the newspapers and there was a character that had nothing but bad luck and had this black cloud above him everywhere he went.

Well, put it back together tonight and played with it in my yard for a couple of minutes. initially, it seems okay.

So hopefully that black cloud has changed to sunny skies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back