bigscoop
Gold Member
- Joined
- Jun 4, 2010
- Messages
- 14,653
- Reaction score
- 9,097
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Wherever there be treasure!
- Detector(s) used
- Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
franklin,
I don't think the entire story was a hoax, but I do believe a great deal of the story couldn't be told in complete factual detail. Reb has often stated that he feels the pamphlet was a cover story and I think a great deal of it was, because it had to be. When I think of the author I think of him as being a desperate tattle-tell of sorts, someone who badly desired to bring something to light, possibly to his own benefit, but couldn't without shedding light on perhaps his own guilt and/or participation. I think the pamphlet was simply the releasing of a burden. Someone recently stated the knowledge is power, but there are times when knowledge can also be a most troublesome and bothersome burden. I think this is possibly the case with our unknown author.
I don't think the entire story was a hoax, but I do believe a great deal of the story couldn't be told in complete factual detail. Reb has often stated that he feels the pamphlet was a cover story and I think a great deal of it was, because it had to be. When I think of the author I think of him as being a desperate tattle-tell of sorts, someone who badly desired to bring something to light, possibly to his own benefit, but couldn't without shedding light on perhaps his own guilt and/or participation. I think the pamphlet was simply the releasing of a burden. Someone recently stated the knowledge is power, but there are times when knowledge can also be a most troublesome and bothersome burden. I think this is possibly the case with our unknown author.
By the way, as noticed on your list, there never was any mention of a Thomas "Jefferson" Beale.....the middle name Jefferson is something the Hart brothers eventually attached in place of the J. Nobody knows why or how they arrived at this. In fact, there is no proof that a Thomas J. Beale ever existed at all.
....let's see how you guys twist your way around this one then; 







