Bear River Campground Threat

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The beaches of Normandy are the good part. There are always multiple open holes there that someone from some other place in California dug, worked and then abandoned so less cobble to toss off. The place is a haven for miners and the county enjoys renting out the group camp area to clubs from all over. One good stretch of rainy days and it is all gone ready to be reworked again. There may be some undesireable elements that you wouldnt want to camp next to but there are also many people that mine it that are no problem at all. Carry yourself in a no nonsense manner and people will get the idea and your shovel is the best defense tool made.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah, gldguy1 you beat me to it! Way to go Placer County Sheriffs!!! Now do this once a month please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and they were driving BMW.. I'm sure that is out for repo, and obtained by fraud. I see iteveryday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches of Normandy are the good part. There are always multiple open holes there that someone from some other place in California dug, worked and then abandoned so less cobble to toss off. The place is a haven for miners and the county enjoys renting out the group camp area to clubs from all over. One good stretch of rainy days and it is all gone ready to be reworked again. There may be some undesireable elements that you wouldnt want to camp next to but there are also many people that mine it that are no problem at all. Carry yourself in a no nonsense manner and people will get the idea and your shovel is the best defense tool made.

The spot deserves to have the better element more often.
I really didn't post to turn people away. Lets just get more of the good people into the area.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes the good people just need to frequent it and band together when possible. Going with a small group this weekend that definitely fits the bill. No worries about safety either as one can and will throw whirlwind haymakers.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I had gone to the Brrrr River CG since it was built. In '90-91, there was a regular drug dealer who had a route there to all his low life friends. I knew him and his buddy, they were bad news! Then there are the Mexicans who take over the north end by the creek. They take over the Yuba CG too.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All most all state and federal campsites are managed by the private sector. Camp hosts don't work fot the Gov. they work for management companies that contract with the Gov. agency in charge of the area. In National parks private employees out number nps staff 10 to 1. It's how budgets can grow admin can get raises and there can still be less employee's with boots on.
NFS law enforcement budget has been dropping for years with less officers in the field now than before.

I spent years working at a National Park and at ski areas in the National forest. The NFS spends millions in marketing trying to get people to visit the forest.
They don't keep pace with what it takes to deal with the influx of people. Instead they have closed campsites to jam more people into what is left.

Again that is in the NFS. Bear river campground has nothing to do with the USFS. It's private land (county) with access to state land at the river.
The four group sites by the res. are nfs land.
They can at anytime stop all prospecting and since it's not public lands there aren't even rights to rely on

This is a county and state owned area. If it gets too bad they will just close it. Prospectors have been lucky that the crown has allowed the peasants to poke around.

If anyone thinks that a few reports of violence from "prospectors" won't be used against the good prospectors in Ca. When it comes to just kicking us out so they don't have to deal with it for what ever reason or AGENDA. Well then you haven't been paying attention.

So, yes maybe it is about control. But, they already have the power so that just doesn't make sense as far as the "fake news"
No one needs to create a story.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this.

HMMMM all that fake news lit a fire under the S.O. offices toes and they went for a random "directed" visit

Awesome...tweakers busted AWESOMER!!!

Have fun this weekend Joe. I'll be done with your saw by Monday.

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
"Fake news. The state wants to control and oversee the camping areas. They even admitted it. That's Cali for ya."

I try not to be rude, but if i were you... i would make sure that i actually knew what i was talking about or had a little better insight prior to labeling things as fake news... posting your poor judgement of this situation may lead others to disregard this article which could lead to similar occurrences in the future..

Last edited:

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss the holes actually! They are all gone now. I used to be able to get pretty descent gold in those holes. Now I have no reason to go back. There's a tiny bit of recent flood gold to be had there, but hardly worth the effort.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Local ECV keeping the place safe lol tourists who know not of ECV might get spooked all the same. Hang the basterds.

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Whites Goldmaster GMX, Whites TDI SL, Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab GP3500, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone to bear many times, and usually it's cool. Most of the time there are plenty of tweakers in the campground and they stay to themselves. I usually go out with my wife, and we work till about dark and pick up. Several times I've had tweakers come up and ask how I did. Being 60, and disabled, they think they might have found easy prey, but I carry a huge vintage dive knife on my belt while I'm out there. Several times they have seen that and turned to walk away. That tells me right away what's on their minds. I've also usually got a 1911 on the car trunk, in case things get out of hand. I may be old and slow, but I ain't stupid.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Whites Goldmaster GMX, Whites TDI SL, Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab GP3500, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abc

Last edited:

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I apologize, but I can't seem to erase those bottom to posts under my original post. If the moderator would do so for me, I would be grateful

Sent from my SM-G930P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw this story on Fox (cable) News yesterday. It seems the complaint went
right to the head Sheriff, and they (along with a couple other dept's) made a
sweep of the campground and (they say) cleaned out some of the problems.

I never camp in campgrounds, but for those that do I hope the place is better
now.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this story on Fox (cable) News yesterday. It seems the complaint went
right to the head Sheriff, and they (along with a couple other dept's) made a
sweep of the campground and (they say) cleaned out some of the problems.

I never camp in campgrounds, but for those that do I hope the place is better
now.

I was there Sunday morning and saw a lot of tweaked looking people camped out, some guy had half of his motor to his car pulled apart in the camp spot and his woman looked high as a kite. I only saw one family that looked halfway like they were camping. They need constant enforcement out there to keep all the tweakers out

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was there Sunday morning and saw a lot of tweaked looking people camped out, some guy had half of his motor to his car pulled apart in the camp spot and his woman looked high as a kite. I only saw one family that looked halfway like they were camping. They need constant enforcement out there to keep all the tweakers out
Just for my edification, what does tweaked looking people mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread